Notices

Slip

Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Huh?

Slip

Today, I was finally able to find a cheap, good car, AND get financed for it. So happy.

So happy that I "let" my AV win.

I've only had 1 beer, and I have to admit, I don't even LIKE the effects of alcohol anymore. It's not fun having your balance be off, or to feel dizzy.

Feel very badly. Happy, though, that I've realized that alcohol really ISN'T fun, and definitely not all it's cracked up to be.

*sigh*

Of course, SR is like my priest, so I wanted to "admit my sin" to all of you.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Not sure what to say... welcome back and drive carefully.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad you're back, but be careful. Those "uneventful" slips can work on your head, trying to convince you that it's not that big a deal if you drink. The next "slip" might be a little more dramatic--and not everyone comes back.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good restart. Accountability. Funny how we look to reward our not drinking, drinking, winning, losing, loving, not loving, breathing, all rewarded by drinking or run away from by drinking.
Accountability can help you stay the course. Don't be too hard on yourself unless you make it a habit. Then you might as well try being hard on yourself, because no matter how hard you are on yourself, as long as you are drinking, alcohol will be harder.

The easy way is cut yourself a sprout when you need to with anything but alcohol or other substances. Coke is good, lemonade better to me, and for the really special celebrations, exotic smoothies or special teas.

Do you have any local support? Counselor, docs, anyone you can talk to when you are felling antsy?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just wondering, what prompted you to have that beer?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was supposed to take 6 yr cake in March..now I have a week,
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I first met with my sponsor at his sponsor's home. He asked me if I thought about drinking, and I said, "Yes." "Well, what do you think about?" he asked. I replied, "It feels cool and wet." He said, "You're dehydrated!" and ran and got me a sparkling water. Before turning me loose with my sponsor, he told me to hydrate well and see my doctor.

So next time you feel like drinking alcohol, maybe try just drinking something else.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of us had some funny ideas back in the day.

Try and learn from this - especially think about what you need to add to make the leap to permanent recovery.

Do you need more support, do you need to make more changes in your life? that kind of thing...

Happy, sober, motoring....

D
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

These one beer slips are what has caused me so many problems since a teenager. I'm 40 now and started going to school in the 6th grade with hangovers.

I drank off and on since. I was sober for 5 years from 1995 and until 2000. I started drinking again in 2000 because of a slip that made me think I could drink normal without incident.

Yep for a while I drank like a normal person and didnt cause any scenes. As time went by I got more cocky and thought I could be an everyday drinker.

Ended up being an everyday drinker alright, drinking 24 or more cans of beer a day. Ended up being violent, destroying property and scaring my family.

I would then stop drinking for a few months here and there and then the cycle would start again. A slip that would make me go buy a 6 pack. Get away with drinking that without incident. This would lead me to buying a case.. sneaking the drink from the family and getting away with it.

And then right back to drinking 24 + plus beers a day... blacking out .. doing terrible things to family and friends.... to waking up feeling bad and back on SR.

I am fighting and I mean fighting a war on doing whatever I can to not have that slip where I buy a six pack... drink 2 and get away with it because I know that this leads right back to 24+ beers and to a blackout and the cycle starts over....

Thanks for sharing your slip story. It made me remember about my slips......

Staying sober!

Gall
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

It was 1 beer. Nothing bad has happened (yet). You have realized your mistake and come here for help.

GET RID OF ANY MORE BEER IN THE HOUSE. POUR IT DOWN THE DRAIN.

Realize that you have that car because you stopped drinking and try not to beat yourself up over this slip.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Huh?

I love you all.