SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Starting out today. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/281065-starting-out-today.html)

kelly79 01-15-2013 05:01 PM

Starting out today.

Hello,

I've lurked around these forms for years. I've also created accounts but never posted before. Today I have taken my last drink. I have to change before this alcoholism really wrecks my life. I've had to miss work three days the past two weeks. My relationship with my girlfriend is becoming strained.

So here I am, day one.

Thanks for reading.

Coldfusion 01-15-2013 05:14 PM

Hey Kelly!

Lots of good stuff here.

What's your plan?

least 01-15-2013 05:18 PM

:welcome to the family! And congrats on a wise decision to stop drinking.:)

Anna 01-15-2013 05:25 PM

Welcome, Kelly!

You will find lots of support here.

LexieCat 01-15-2013 05:38 PM

Welcome! I think it may bode well for you that you waited to post until you were ready to be done. Not that people shouldn't post until they are, it's just that in my experience people who take the leap rather than dabbling their toes in the water seem to progress in recovery the fastest. Just because their minds are totally made up, I suppose.

What is your plan for approaching this, apart from SR? Have you thought about AA? It has been great for me, and I am at four and a half years sober right now.

kelly79 01-15-2013 06:09 PM

Thanks for your replies. My plan is to get up tomorrow. Call my work and sort things out with them, I have a line till next week but I'm not sure if I should use it. I'm going to go to an AA meeting that I've attended before and get back to that.

I need to get in control of this again. I was doing so well before Christmas, I had been sober for almost one month, then the holidays came. Its just spiralled out of control since then.

Thanks for your support.

K

artsoul 01-15-2013 06:20 PM

Welcome Kelly!

Sounds like you know what to do - good for you for getting right back into sobriety! I think you'll find this forum really supportive and a great addition to meetings. Congrats on a new start!:c011:

Hevyn 01-15-2013 06:20 PM

Welcome kelly. You'll never regret this.

I had to finally admit I couldn't trust myself to have even one drink. I was doing unpredictable and dangerous things - missing work, driving drunk, etc. It's such a relief to be free of it. I no longer see it as losing something - I've gained a beautiful life.

Dee74 01-15-2013 06:29 PM

Welcome to SR Kelly :)

D

kelly79 01-16-2013 05:29 PM

Day two.

Went to an AA meeting. Returning to work today.

K

Klbcarmel 01-16-2013 05:35 PM

Kelly- good for you...it's tough but so worth it. At nights when I get urges its almost painful, I fight it so hard. BUT when I wake up the next day without a hangover or feeling guilty, it's the best feeling and I smile......it's so great to work all day and have energy. No anxiety! No cloudy thoughts! I made it through another day sober. And the things you notice that I didn't notice before.....colors, nature, birds singing......

Eliz181144 01-16-2013 07:46 PM

Welcome! The forums are a life saver and the support here is incredible.

hamabi 01-16-2013 07:52 PM

Nice going. If anyone should suggest a few hours per week of doing AA to live comfortably sober is taking up too much of your time, you can tell them about losing 3 days a week without it.

kittycat3 01-16-2013 08:55 PM

do it kelly!!! you can do it!!! Welcome aboard.

Hope4Life 01-16-2013 08:59 PM

Good job, Kelly!

Stay focused on your sobriety and working hard and nothing but GOOD things will come to you.

Remember that we are always here.... :ring

Delilah1 01-16-2013 09:59 PM

Welcome Kelly, glad you are here!! This site is filled with caring and supportive people. Lots of great suggestions for books on Anna's thread and also lots of resources in the secular section.

Looking forward to seeing you on here. :)

kelly79 01-17-2013 08:54 PM

Felt a bit of a wobble today but I stuck with it. Today is day 3!