Notices

It's the Little things

Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's the Little things

It's the little things we need to watch for. It was the straw that broke the camel's back right?........

In the past, I made the biggest deal out of little things. I made mountains out of molehills.........

I was great at it too......

I scared my family because of it too in the past.....

I was a ticking time bomb.........

Man I could freakin throw the remote at the tv if it didn't work in the past.To think people actually got up to change the channel at one time.lol........

To an me an alkie calling a busy number was a traumatic event or being put on hold.lol.........

I can relate when I hear others share, "God, grant me patience and do it right now!" lol....

We are so spoiled in this day and age and expect everything to happen right now.....

No, it's not the major setbacks that will always drive me back to the drink. The big things—divorce, death, serious illness, the loss of a job—will maybe throw me, but I will survive them.......

I've learned from experience that I must reach out to My Higher Power and others to make it through life's major crises.....

But it seems to be the small things, the constant day-to-day challenges of living life without the use of alcohol, that seem to affect me most strongly in recovery......

And I forget my higher power is there sometimes.....

Now when the little things get to me, the Serenity Prayer can help me regain my perspective.......

I can remember that "turning over" these small problems to the care of my Higher Power usually results in peace of mind and a refreshed perspective on my life.......
So today I try to work on my patience. I do my best to keep from blowing things out of proportion, and I keep in contact with my Higher Power through my day.....

I am learning today that I really like the peace of mind I have so I am not willing to give it up so easily anymore....

Today I am practicing acceptance of myself, and others and
silly stuff like a broken remote....

I try to remember what it was like for my grama who was born in 1912 and just passed 2 weeks ago and just turned 100. Who washed clothes on a washboard.And listened to radio if they even had it then lol.....

I don't even think that came till the 20's. And now I am laying on my back with a laptop on my belly talking to people on the other side of the world. Eating Ho's Ho's. Yah I have a lot to complain about........

You know what a Ho Ho is right? Those chocolate round thingy's........

I used to get sick on them......

Anyways............

Life is all about perspective. Glass half full or half empty.No pun intended. Mine used to be half empty today it is half full and sometimes overflowing.......

So remember you could be saddling your horse to go to work.Or transmitting morse code in a real emergency lol Thanks

If anyone wants to see a really funny video, it is my grama on her 100th birthday, she was a circus performer when I was a kid. She liked her beer but was not an alkie like me .Dorothy Kelly Circus performer Elephant Trainer 100 Birthday beer video 2012 .AVI - YouTube
Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Deeker...Great post. Like your positive aspect..Sorry about your Grandma. 100 years old..Wow. She must of had some stories.

PS ..You write well. Are you perhaps related to Weasel?

Jim
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

That's funny Jim! Nope... Not related.

Deeker you do write well.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think if you work through the steps...Clear the wreckage of your past and right your wrongs...You'll find a step there we live everyday that we take care of the little things...Before they become big things....That would be step 10.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to the little things being the things that throw us. My biggest urges to drink have been over stupid things, spilling something on a clean floor, throw away comments from other people, not being able to find matching socks... I'm not even joking x
Old 01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Deerek I enjoyed your post, yes sometimes it is the little things like a bad hair day that can tilt the world. Thank you for sharing your Grandmas video, my Grandma was also born in 1912, but has been gone 15 years I miss her so much. So your sharing brought a smile to my face thank you again.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I accidentally deleted my audio drivers from my computer this morning...oops! Been sitting here for hours trying to figure out what drivers I need, what motherboard I have, and a bunch of other junk. AV tried to creep in but I don't have time for it's nonsense.

So yeah, I can see it creeping up over little things or absolutely nothing. Pfffft.

BTW, if you guys never see me post again, it's because I've blown my computer up...accidentally.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

aww

aww . are u missin in action in cyber world. Prayers your way.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
aww . are u missin in action in cyber world. Prayers your way.
Nope, I'm back. Found the drivers I needed.

Less than two weeks ago (not sure of days because I'm not counting), I would have been well into a 12 pack of beer and balling my eyeballs out over this computer mess I created. Feeling sorry for myself and feeling like a big fat LOSER, a pathetic useless POS. Actually, I would likely be passed out in bed by now as I have been working on this all day and likely would have started drinking by early afternoon.

I signed up here at SR for help and that's exactly what I got. I had to stop the madness, the insanity. And that is what I have done. I stopped drinking that night. Something in me shifted and it was something I had never experienced in the 13 years of sobriety I had before my 5 year relapse.

RR/AVRT is what helped me understand exactly what was going on and I made the BP.

Well then, this turned into a rather long post. Ergh. lol
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

A little more help. Get the free program Speccy from Piriform, the same folks who make CCleaner free too. It is safe just download it, install it and then click on each item on the summary page that it starts on for details on each. Give it a half minute each time when you open it because it rescans the system each time. The website to get it is here:
Download Speccy 1.19.411 - FileHippo.com