Notices

60 days sober, 30 years old, 0 self esteem...

Old 01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You're already a winner, BJ. You ask for help, and you listen and ALLOW yourself to be helped. That right there is HUGE. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other (the feet will get harder to see for a while but they will still be there after the baby comes). :-)

You are giving yourself and your child the best gift you possibly could. The better feelings about yourself will come, and they won't be phony pop-psychology "feel good about yourself no matter what you do" feelings--they will be REAL, and based on a sense that you have value as a person, and that you are doing your best. Some days the best may not be that spectacular, but it will be getting through the day sober with a determination to do better tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Working the AA program is good. You also might want to consider some counseling. Just because you quit drinking doesn't mean everything is perfect (and perhaps it was underlying self esteem issues or something that paved the way for alcohol abuse, because you were trying to feel better).
That's the great thing about AA, Zebra.

In the 12 Steps the first one gets you sober and the rest address all our spiritual/emotional/mental defects and shortcomings.

There is a wrench to fit every nut .....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Like I said we spent our time in the projects and on welfare. That is what it's for. People who want off it ASAP! Did you know I have more than my share and even though I do not have to, I recently began shopping for hardware and things at Goodwill because it is a daily yard sale with some new stuff too that employs folks who need it. In my teens and 20s I was too proud. And then I could have used it! When my first son came along I was a young Airman too proud to take the food stamps I qualified for. Instead to get his formula we had a lot of PB&J meals, and I donated Plasma because I could do that twice a week. Hindsight? Dumb.
you are still newly sober so the rational part is still not operating full blast and you are preggers with hormones from hell giving you what I recently heard referred to on the today show as MOMNESIA!

But wrap your head around this. You were willing to go through the stigma of being a drunk, and risked unprotected sex. Why would you not be willing to rationally make sure your baby and you get a decent start and then pay it back in your taxes later like I did because welfare felt like, well, welfare?

You and your baby will be able to hold your heads up much better with some help and then with your very hard work at schooling and working get ahead of the power curve yourself.
Single Mom Role Models | Single Moms

BTW, the reason we are here is because of the ones who were here for us. Your turn will come, maybe later today as you pass along some of your ESH.
YW! Post often! Read more!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for the links, I'll check those out. So helpful.