Notices

I need to stop before I end up like my father

Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Gman,
You are going to be fine! You very well may have ended up just like him, but you are stopping. The relapses are up to you. But I can tell you this. Life does not get any better, we do! I was doing about like you about five years before I quit. By two years before I quit I retired again, and within a month I was drinking shots in my first morning coffee, and then 30 plus units of alcohol a day. I had the shakes so bad I had to hold that first cup with scotch in it with both hands, and was as likely to vomit that up as keep it down and have the shakes stop. But I had to try until I could.

You came to the right place. Lots of us have had the anxiety and panic attacks and many were hiding undiagnosed problems with alcohol, and many more found their anxiety and depression went away once they had six months of sobriety. The first few weeks as you know are the toughest.

You came to the right place. I used my docs and did an in hospital detox as I said and I am great with no relapses two years later. If you are committed to a sober life and never drinking again like I was, you can certainly do the same.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Your father surely quit lots of times through his life (announced and unannounced), as that's common among us.

Different from his experience would be staying stopped, if you want to be different and not follow the usual path.

Sounds as if you're with people now who have a long term answer for this, and some suggestions about how you can also succeed as they have done. Following those is indicated to obtain the same results for yourself.