Notices

two week in and can't stop eating

Old 01-15-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

two week in and can't stop eating

does anyone else have this problem? this is serious, i don't want to get any fatter because i will actually get depressed and that will seriously hamper my recovery. its okay for slim and normal size people to say a few pounds don't matter, but if you are on the large size already, a few extra pounds can be a disastor.

its like i have a big hole inside me, i mean its a total miracle that i am not wanting to drink, this is the longest i have been sober for twenty years, and i just feel totally switched off to booze, but i cannot stop eating, i am craving sugar and carbs.

will this calm down?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does calm down Isabellina, well it did for me anyway. I still carried on overeating but the cravings dropped off pretty suddenly a few months in. I didn't put any weight on initially though because I did a lot of walking. Could you do some exercise just to counteract it for now? x
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

There is something about alcohol and sugar metabolism that is important. I craved chocolate and ice cream and pigged out big time for months. This has now gone.

It does take time to settle down. But it does improve slowly over time.

What helped me was taking some sugar sweets regularly during the time I would normally be drinking. I am sure there are more scientific information about this somewhere.

I am only now starting to get a handle on dietary issues and I am 20 months in. But I am fitter and have more energy and carrying much less flab.

start exercising when you can but go at your own pace- things slowly improve
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The hole that you feel inside yourself (which I felt too) can't be filled with food or alcohol. The only thing that can fill that hole is you deciding to like and love yourself and to care enough to look after yourself.

A Gratitude Journal can really help to get some positive thoughts flowing.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had the same problem. It does reduce. Have you had a blood sugar test? the problem with sugar/carbs is the more you eat them the more you crave them and you constantly have highs and lows of sugar hits.I recently cut out sugar as much as practically possible and after 3 days headaches settled down and my cravings reduced hugely. I'm eating high protein/high fat foods but no sugar, full fat milk(no sugar) cheese,nuts etc and have lost half a stone and feel much less bloated and have loads more energy. there is a healthy eating thread on here which is a great help.sorry don'tknow how to link
Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I put on around 50 lbs from total junkie to 6 months clean. I have not gained anything since I plateaued. I was way underweight anyway but like others have said it does even out after a while.

They dont say you put down the spoon to pick up the fork for nothing.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can so relate

Hey there! I am in the same boat. I crave sweets and I tend to use food for comfort, but my sponsor says food isn't gonna get me arrested unless of course I rob Pizza Hut. I sruggle with bad feelings over it but I know in time it will settle down. I try really hard to fill that whole with God and inspirational readings etc, Hang In There ok?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best way to stay away from the sugary food is to not buy it just like alcohol.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

11 days

Way to go on 11 days!!!! Popcorns ok lol