Notices

Sunshine6666

Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Sunshine6666

Good morning everyone--new member and really not sure where to go on this chat line. I am a recovering alcoholic having a One-Year Birthday on 4 February 2013. I live with an alcoholic and have a sister who also is an active alcoholic down the street. I am at a point in my life that it is really making sick to be around them. Is this normal? I have been married 41 years to a man who was an alcoholic when I met hi. I turned into an alcoholic in my late 40s--after the children left the house. Well, that is enough for now.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi There and welcome to the community. Also I want to congratulate you on your sobriety. There are lots of people here to support and encourage you. I celebrated 5 years in August. Glad to be able to join you on your journey.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on coming up to a year!! That is fantastic! I don't think it is uncommon for relationships to change when one becomes sober. You guys are at different crossroads.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome and congrats
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sunshine6666
Congrats on your sober time

I could no longer be around active alcoholics - too much chaos and drama - so I identify with what you're feeling for sure.

is there any way you can change your situation?

D
Old 01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome. Congratulations on your sobriety. I am over 7 months sober. My relationship with my sister changed because she chooses to drink.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its normal - when you're sober and other people are drunk you are on completely different levels.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Sunshine and congrats on your (almost) year of sobriety! It's really commendable that you've gotten sober in your situation.

I think any of us would find it difficult and frustrating to spend a lot of time with an active alcoholic. We have a forum here for friends and family of alcoholics that you might want to check out - I know you'll find lots of support there, too:
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Old 01-16-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, and WooHOO on your upcoming anniversary! That's fantastic!

I think it's perfectly normal to feel uncomfortable around people who are still actively drinking. I am lucky enough to be single.

BUT, my alcoholism took off later in life, and I have been married to two alcoholics, and the best suggestion I can give you is GET TO AL-ANON!! They use the same 12 Steps as in AA, so you will feel right at home. The deal is, Al-Anon will help you deal with the craziness from having other alcoholics in your life--whether they are still drinking or not. I know a few people who have recovered and are still married to active alcoholics. Many of them go to Al-Anon AND AA. I even know couples where both are recovered alcoholics and they still go to Al-Anon, because as we all know, the ISM can remain even after the drinking is gone. We call people who do both programs "double winners" and you can be one, too! I really encourage you to check it out, and also to check out our "Friends and Family" forum here at SR.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to have you aboard, Sunshine! One year coming up is fabulous. I think you'll like being here with us - this is a great place.