Notices

Hello

Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

After many fits and starts, I've decided to quit a life of drinking - started when I was 15 and am 55 now. Seems like any problems I've had in this life have stemmed from excessive consumption of alcohol. I've had enough. If I can get through the night sweats the next few nights, and stay away from my good-time charlie friends for a few weeks, I think I have a good chance of quitting. It's amazing that I'm alive, much less having had a great career in academia. I'm serious about quitting this time.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done in making this commitment to not drink. The best is yet to come. Do you have any support apart from SR in not drinking?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I could go to AA - there is a meeting 1 mile from my house on Sunday nights. I'm thinking about it, but went to AA before and it didn't take as I'm not much on the "higher power" stuff.

My wife would be thrilled to see me quit, but I'm going to keep my quitting intentions to myself for now. She will notice and say something after a few weeks. I want her to know that I'm doing this for myself, and not per any of her past suggestions.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the community. I also drank and used for over 40 years. This past August I celebrated 5 years in recovery.....so it can be done. I didn't achieve this on my own. It took lots of work and I continue to make sobriety my priority. There are lots of people here to support and encourage you. Glad to join you on this journey.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for your support
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I went to lots off AA meetings over the years and they never stuck either. When I got serious about really quiting what they said made a whole lot of sense.

Read the big book, Chapter to the agonstic before you dismiss AA. Big book is free and online at aa.org
Old 01-15-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
I'm thinking about it, but went to AA before and it didn't take as I'm not much on the "higher power" stuff.
A lot of people use the group as their higher power at first. After all, isn't a group of alcoholics that are in recovery a power greater than yourself??? AA might not be for everyone, but I'd give it another chance before dismissing it completely.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome woodhead! I started at 15 and had my last drink on Sept 7, 2012, at the age of 45.

Stick around here. Read, read, and then read some more. And post as often as you'd like.

There is a tremendous amount of support and wisdom here.

-SD
Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR woodhead x
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome! I suggest you give AA another shot. Go with an open mind. Remember, these people have found the secret of living sober HAPPILY.

And as far as the "Higher Power" stuff, you don't have to think about it as a supreme being. I know people who consider themselves agnostics or atheists who use the power of the universe, or the power of the group as their "Higher Power". The point really is that we cannot control the universe, or even the people or situations closest to us. And if we take care of our own business, and live up to our own responsibilities to ourselves and other people, the rest will fall into place. Maybe not the way we planned, hoped, or expected, but in a way that ultimately is the way it should be. Makes for a much calmer existence.

Anyway, glad to have you here--I got sober when I was in my early 50s, and when it came time to retire from the job I'd had for 20-some years, I was very grateful not to go into it as a drunk. I don't think I would have lasted very long. Just wanted to add, I now have a "dream job" as my post-retirement career and could not be happier.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! I quit drinking three years ago and don't regret a minute of it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome woodhead! So happy you found us.

I was in my 50's when I quit, too. A lifetime of abuse had taken it's toll mentally and physically. I was completely dependent on it in the end. I never imagined life without it, but now I'd never consider returning to that sick way of living. You can do this! Congratulations for making this decision.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Had night sweats again last light. I'll be glad when they are over. My last drink was at the end of a two-day binge on Saturday night (1/12), so hopefully this cold sweat business ended last night. I'm ready for a good night's sleep and a normal sleep pattern.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome woodhead - hope you lose the sweats soon too

D