Notices

Progressive Progress

Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Progressive Progress

Hello,

I don't know how to start, but it is recommended to post here first.

To be silent leaves the door unlocked, to take no action leaves it open.

I am a new member who joined the first few days of January 2013. But I floundered for a while longer before making this commitment post.

Yesterday, as I began to wake, tasting the bitter essence of the last days mix of alcohols, I was thankful the night was over. Sleeping with the racing mind and jumping heart was dreadful. As if searching for some solace, each awakening was filled with the straining to recall any clue about the last half of the day.

The looming fear of what might have happened was as thick as the night all around me. Motionless, I waited for it to end and the day to come again.

That's it. No more of that.

It has gone too far and I am too far in it to ignore the simple fact that the progression of my alcohol abuse was not going to stop unless I took a stand and fearlessly grabbed this moment of clarity.

T
Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like what you said about having had a moment of clarity. I had that moment on the 3rd July 2012 and have been sober since the 4th of July 2012.

In my early days, I found reading Sober for Good to be most helpful. I provided full disclosure to my Doctor and to my wife.

I accepted that alcohol is no longer an option and I will never drink alcohol again.

Welcome!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tulla View Post
Hello,

I don't know how to start, but it is recommended to post here first.

To be silent leaves the door unlocked, to take no action leaves it open.

I am a new member who joined the first few days of January 2013. But I floundered for a while longer before making this commitment post.

Yesterday, as I began to wake, tasting the bitter essence of the last days mix of alcohols, I was thankful the night was over. Sleeping with the racing mind and jumping heart was dreadful. As if searching for some solace, each awakening was filled with the straining to recall any clue about the last half of the day.

The looming fear of what might have happened was as thick as the night all around me. Motionless, I waited for it to end and the day to come again.

That's it. No more of that.

It has gone too far and I am too far in it to ignore the simple fact that the progression of my alcohol abuse was not going to stop unless I took a stand and fearlessly grabbed this moment of clarity.

T
Aaaahhhhhhh.........you're a writer! Hang in there!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have made some first brave and very big steps....good for you and hang it there
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much.

T
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tulla, keep a journal. You are very eloquent and I think it will help many of us (including me, after innumerable "slips").

Start a journal (daily) with all the ups and downs and I will hang in there like glue. You have a way of describing your journey that speaks to many, many of us.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your story sounds familiar. I took tried before - even had an different account here - but kept waivering. Saturday afternoon (after way too much with football games) I made the decision to stop - and came to the realization - I CANNOT drink. One always becomes 10 then 20. I am on day two - started a new account with a new commitment.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A moment of clarity is all you need to begin the journey of a sober life. Be sure to do what pamel said and keep a journal. A journal is your way of talking to yourself in a way of expression instead of bottling everything. When I was journal writing I was clean. Guess what happened when I stopped writing in the journal? Relapse. Those negative thoughts will catch up with you if not written down, I promise you. Keep yourself busy too, pick up hobbies, learn something new. Take a class in something. Being busy is the key to beating an addiction.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tulla - action definitely is key I think

Great to have you here

D