SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   "In recovery there are no losers, just slow winners." (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/280905-recovery-there-no-losers-just-slow-winners.html)

MIRecovery 01-14-2013 08:41 AM

"In recovery there are no losers, just slow winners."

From Wisdom of the Rooms

I remember being in early recovery and feeling so bad that I just knew it wasn't working. I'd tell my sponsor about it, and I can still hear him saying, "Michael, you're exactly where you should be, and that's exactly what you should be feeling right now." At first I thought he was just handing me a line, but after a while I believed him and learned to trust in the slow progress I was making in recovery.

Years later I'd hear other newcomers complain about how bad they felt and about how terrible of a day they were having. I can still hear the old timers ask them if they had a drink that day. "No," they'd respond. "Then no matter bad you think you're doing, when you lay your head on your pillow tonight you're a winner." It was comforting to hear that back then, and it still is today.

Now that I've been in recovery a while I understand the wisdom in this week's quote. It doesn't matter what you're going through in recovery or how you feel, the fact that you are in recovery, that you have a program, and that you're developing or improving your conscious contact with a power greater than yourself means that you've already won. You may feel like a loser temporarily, but most of the time and in the long run you'll live a life filled with the joys and miracles of recovery.

Over time you, too, will come to see that in recovery there are no losers, just slow winners.

SavingSelf 01-14-2013 08:54 AM

Love this. Thanks for posting.

IndaMiricale 01-14-2013 09:01 AM

Good post MIR.. :)

I always refer to what my sponsor said and still does, now I do.. LOL

On those stinkin thinkin day..

I may not know what I am doing, but I do know one thing , I am not drinking..The rest will come as long as I remain openminded, teachable , and willing to work.. :)

hypochondriac 01-14-2013 10:30 AM

Great post :) x

bloss 01-14-2013 11:47 AM

Thank you for this post, just what I needed to read today.

Jeni26 01-14-2013 11:59 AM

Great post. Thankyou x

MIRecovery 01-14-2013 01:11 PM

One of the old timers I know says, "God promises to change me so slow that I will hardly notice it." I know from personal experience that this is true. Not only in early sobriety but in later sobriety as well. The only way I know I am progressing at all is to look backwards and see that I am not the same person I was.

Early sobriety is difficult but each day sober is a success that needs to be celebrated and can be counted as a good day. I will rejoy that today I am a winner.