Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Do you have to be always sober or can you drink again socially??

Notices

Do you have to be always sober or can you drink again socially??

Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have tried to moderate and drink "normally". I reckon I have tried every strategy known to mankind, and also some "excellent " ideas I have come up with myself. I can do it for a couple of times, but inevitably ALWAYS go back to drinking crazy amounts of booze. The worst thing is every time I try to do my moderation bit, I seem to go back to drinking even more than before I tried to moderate. I just got progressively worse over time. I applaud anyone who succeeds at moderating, but I know it is simply never going to work for me. Its like banging my head against a brick wall.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Moderation will never work for me. Trust me I've tried. I've "Moderated" before but it put me in a really pissy mood and the whole time I was just obsessing about moderating and obsessing about when I could moderate again.

To be honest though I never want to moderate. I want to get rip roaring drunk. So I don't really see the point.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Snoopy101 View Post
I've been drinking 6 beers every day for the last 2 years! I stopped on the 31 Dec. Since then had 1 beer on a plane (7th Jan) and then one on 11th Jan. Not planning or thinking about another. Question is is it possible to actually cut back and drink responsibly, or be sober for ever???
I've read, and heard that it is possible. I have tried it thousands of times, but, always with the same outcome.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I think Weaver sums it up......I don't want to moderate, I want to get rip roaring drunk. My moderation strategy is just a way for my addiction to get its foot in the door.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

100% chance of drinking 6 beers a day eventually. Usually fairly quickly after you start