Notices

Returning after 3 years

Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Returning after 3 years

Yes so I was one of those cocky bastards who thought I had it all figured out. With the help of this forum I had about 6 weeks of sobriety under my belt but figured I could start drinking again moderately. That lasted for awhile but eventually it all just got away from me again.

Ive been a self proclaimed functioning alcoholic for most of my life, I am 36, divorced mother of two (ex hubby is also functional alchy) and realising that the word, functioning and alcholic really dont belong in the same sentence. Ive never had a DUI or been in jail. I rarely drink alone but have been wasted by myself (usually when kids are with dad). I drink 2-3 times a week but never just a couple. I regularily have 6-10 drinks, sometimes more. The ex and I have been separated for well over a year, we used to have quite the socail life and had people over all the time. I thought that was why I drank, I even sort of blamed him for it. But waking up alone not remembering how I got to bed that night... tells me, I am the only one to blame here.

I share kids with my ex and thought it would be fun to go into the city for a night and have dinner with a friend. That turned into bar hopping, flirting with men, limo rides and some phone numbers and texts from men I dont even remember talking to. Luckily the friend I was with pulled me out of a limo of ten people I did not know... headed to a party at 3am at god knows where.. did I mention I am a 36 year old mother of 2.. GASP!!

Today I get my kids back for the week, today I have decided to live sober. Today is the first day of a meaningful life. I will no longer let booze take away my soul.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome lovingliving, I am just coming back after almost having five years. Yeah, it doesn't get any better, and even though I started off slow, it progressively got worse over just a few months, so I'm back too!!

Welcome to SR.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello My Friend and Welcome!

Wow that was a bad situation that could have gotten worse. Thank God for a Good Friend.

I think you have made a good decision to be sober. When you do it for yourself you do it for your kids as well - thats the way I look at it.

Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Thank you for reaffirming my belief that, no alcoholic can ever drink normally.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Great decision. Not drinking makes my life a whole lot better.

I thought I was high functioning (this means I had a good job, wasn't divorced yet and I was still standing). Thankfully I was able to break free I see where it was all headed.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I thought I could drink too after 13 years of being clean and sober. I spent the next 8 years trying to control my drinking and as you already know it DOESN'T WORK! While I often wish it hadn't happened I can only hope it will make me stronger this time around as I work on my sobriety. I have 50 days today and it still sucks sometimes but at least I am sucking air and I haven't caused any chaos and mayhem! Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm glad you had a good friend with you!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome (back) lovingliving

D
Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to our recovery family! I got sober three years ago and don't regret it for a minute!