Notices

I got through the weekend!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I got through the weekend!

Hi everyone, I've very recently decided that I need to get sober. It took me about 6 years to admit that I'm an alcoholic.

I started out drinking socially (almost every night), but this eventually turned into binge drinking on weekends + drinking wine by myself every night (usually at least 4 glasses). This "habit" of mine has recently started to affect my marriage in negative ways. Plus, I've gained about 30 lbs.

Last Tuesday, I stopped drinking, cold turkey. Today is Sunday and I still have a piercing headache. It does get a little better every day, so I feel hopeful. Getting through the weekend was not as difficult as getting through the weekdays - I was scared to hang out at bars with my friends, but eventually realized that I could have a great time with them still drinking my club soda and lemon (I guess I'm lucky to have good friends).

The hard part is the week. My routine is to come home from work, cook dinner, and eventually settle down and watch movies with my wine. Lately I've just been brewing lots of cups of tea to get me through these nights. I have to admit though, it gets easier every day.

Just trying to get to know some others who are going through the same thing I am! It definitely has its ups and downs.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Ruskie. Consider reading and posting in the "Class of January" thread. Many of us have just taken the first steps to sobriety (Day 14 for me). I think you'll find lots of support there.

Again, welcome!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ruskie!!! WELCOME!!! I made it through the weekend also.

I was sober for almost five years, picked up and now I'm back. Like you, my week is concerning to me, but I have a doctor's appt. this week, therapy on Monday, and plan on continuing to come to this site. This place has helped me over the weekend.

Anyway, congrats for making it this far!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Great job! This place is full of great people that want to help us all stay sober. Welcome.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome this site has helped me sooo muuchhh!!! i have found new sober friends ( hey vegi !! lol ) and have learned alot from others...

post ! post ! post ! even if you think no one is reading it.. getting it out of you and into the atmosphere is nothing more than theraputic...
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Congrats on getting thru the weekend sober.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats great...it can only get better...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting! I love reading that I am not the only one starting on this journey. I find week nights pretty tough as well. My routine for so long included drinking and tv before bed its hard adjusting to new routines and habits! Anyway, welcome welcome.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Ruskie. Thanks for an inspirational post. I'm so glad you've made this life changing decision.

It does feel strange in the beginning. It's been part of our routine for so long. As you said, it gets a bit easier & less intense every day. Being here where others understand what you're going through is so helpful. Glad you joined us - keep on posting.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Commited2Change View Post
welcome this site has helped me sooo muuchhh!!! i have found new sober friends ( hey vegi !! lol ) and have learned alot from others...
Not to jack your thread, but C2C, yes, I am officially one of your biggest supporters, for sure!!!