SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Need Info About Sober Living America Facility in Atlanta (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/280716-need-info-about-sober-living-america-facility-atlanta.html)

Butterfly44 01-12-2013 06:11 PM

Need Info About Sober Living America Facility in Atlanta

Does anyone have information about the Sober Living America facility in Atlanta, GA? I think it was originally called Peachford House. My 22 year old grandson is going to be discharged from a detox center in two days and knows that he needs extended residential treatment. He is not employed. My online research about this particular facility seems to be finding conflicting information as to exactly what type help is available there. Thanks to any and all who can provide information or possibly suggest other residential treatment programs in the Atlanta, GA area.

2granddaughters 01-12-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfly44 (Post 3768254)
Does anyone have information about the Sober Living America facility in Atlanta, GA? I think it was originally called Peachford House. My 22 year old grandson is going to be discharged from a detox center in two days and knows that he needs extended residential treatment. He is not employed. My online research about this particular facility seems to be finding conflicting information as to exactly what type help is available there. Thanks to any and all who can provide information or possibly suggest other residential treatment programs in the Atlanta, GA area.

Butterfly, I suggest you have him research it. Let him take responsibility for his recovery.

He can go to AA meetings in the Atlanta area and get lots of info and feedback from the members there. They'll know.

All the best.

Bob R

Dee74 01-12-2013 06:23 PM

Hi Butterfly 44 - Welcome.
I can't help you I'm afraid - never heard of it, let alone been there.

we don't really do peer review of rehabs here but you might be lucky and find someone who's been there :)

I think a lot depends on how committed your grandson is too. 2granddaughter's idea is probably a good one in that respect.

There is national database of treatment facilities - you can enter your location and find other local options that way - there's no peer review there either tho.

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

D

sugarbear1 01-12-2013 06:33 PM

Why not call them and ask them what they are about?

Butterfly44 01-12-2013 06:38 PM

Thanks, Bob R. Unfortunately, he is an inpatient in a detox unit right now and cannot do his own research. I wish he could!! Professional staff on his unit seem to only be recommending one facility in his hometown north of Atlanta which is a very short walk from his addicted relatives and he is terrified of going there.

Dee74, I suppose I was hoping that someone would share their experience, strength, and hope about where they received treatment. (Just my way of getting around the peer review thing.) Thanks for the facility locator link. Surely someone will come along who knows something about the facility I mentioned.

Butterfly44 01-12-2013 06:44 PM

Called and left a message, sugarbear1. No return call yet and I'm thinking they might not take calls over the weekend. Discharge date is Monday and my grandson really wants to go directly from inpatient detox to another recovery center to avoid temptation to use again while waiting for placement. He seems to be motivated this go round, but, then again, who really knows just how committed he is except himself.

Anna 01-12-2013 06:46 PM

I hope that your grandson finds a place that is right for him.

Best wishes to you and your family as you go through this.

Butterfly44 01-13-2013 08:26 AM

Thank you, Anna. Due to it's very nature, the symptomatic behavior of a person cursed with the disease of addiction drives away the same family members and friends who would overcome every obstacle to steadfastly support a person diagnosed with heart disease, stroke, or cancer. My constant prayer is for God to heal FAMILIES, because even one addict present leads to all close family members becoming ill themselves until they come to the realization that they, too, need to seek help through a 12 step program.

I'm so glad I found this website last April. Thanks to everybody for being here for me.

Orbea 01-13-2013 08:41 AM

Don't you need to go to rehab before sober living.

vegibean 01-13-2013 11:05 AM

I would try to get their number and give them a call and ask them what they're all about. I work for a treatment facility and we usually towards the end of treatment allow our clients to make phone calls to see where they want to go, we do have places that we suggest, but it is up to them.

Certainly on your end, would not hurt to call and ask a few questions like what do they expect from their people in the sober house? How many meetings, time to look for work, what the price is, what does the sober house include?

Research is good, some sober houses are horrible and others are run nice and tight to keep their people on the right track.

Good luck! :)

joephus 01-15-2013 08:57 AM

Hi Butterfly,

I'm in a similar situation to you in that I'm trying to help find loved one a place to go after rehab. Your grandson really belongs in a rehab facility. Does he have insurance?

From what I understand the state of GA does not have programs for inpatient care, but he might be eligible for outpatient services. This state is severely lacking in it's resources for people without insurance or rich family members.

I strongly suggest looking into the Salvation Army's rehab program. It's free and it has a very good success rate. That said, they are selective about who they take in. If your grandson isn't serious he'll get nothing out of any program.

Another resources is the United Way. Dial 211 and explain the situation, they may have some helpful suggestions for you.

Best of luck to you.

Yazziclark 09-03-2017 05:47 PM

Do not go to sober living i live in one now and they ah e tied my hands

Originally Posted by Butterfly44 (Post 3768254)

I pay 340 every two weeks, they want you in advance and if you dont have on that paycheck, it they kick you out. They have 7 people per apartment.and they love to threaten people when they want them to do something not relating to their actual recovery. Im a mother who has been trying to get on her feat since march and all i have enough for is program fees and maybe 30 dollars worth of groceries. And you would figure that if someone has a good standing recovery for a year would have more leway. No. They also employ drug addicts who are noy even as clean as me. They sometimes put them on the first day of their recovery and mostly because they cant make enough to pay what they are wanting. So if you are paying when you first get in it 375, after that 170, become transitional it used to be 140 buy they bumbed it up to 150 every week so it ecuals around 6-700 a month for seven people in one 3 bed apartment. The staff always looks like they are high or drunk and some staff get so stressed that they relapse and the same goes for the clients. The funny thing is everyone here has to pay for there own supplies, food a necessary household product paying 6-700, yet the safe lives here free, they get paid, and all the high up just months ago got new cars and get this. They call themselves nonprofit. I have all the papers and we have to sign over a stating that we have to give them a copy og our check stubs. My point isif you getting paid what does that matter? Do not send anyone to peachford comunnities, now known as sla, sober living of america or just america. They are the same facilities just operating under a different name.

Maudcat 09-03-2017 08:06 PM

Very informative, Yazzi.
Thank you.
Good thoughts to you.

August252015 09-04-2017 03:59 AM

Hi there-
Speaking as someone living (and from) Atlanta....first, a couple of comments- the state of GA absolutely has in patient care and no, you don't need to go to rehab before a sober living house, depending on the criteria for acceptance in that particular place; it is common, though, to do the detox-rehab-then outpatient or what many places call "intensive outpatient" - things like halfway houses, "apartment" type living on the premises of the rehab...all kinds of things.

Here is a list of facilities and care in the Atlanta are (I run a recovery group for folks in the restaurant industry so these are some of the resources we use as we are not a treatment group but a support group). I am also a dedicated AA-er and have some experience with detox (Kennestone Hospital where I was sent involuntarily once - I forget what the police term is for that; and Ridgeview Institute which is one of the most frequented places in town). I am not familiar with the second "name" for Peachford as I have only known it as Peachford and known folks (like my 15 yr old step daughter) who have gone for a very short time and for something unrelated to alcoholism/addiction.

I am not sure which places may only take patients with insurance vs those who would accept self pay (I imagine most would do that!) or which might be state supported/supplemented.
(See next message- I am about to time out)

August252015 09-04-2017 04:12 AM

Butterfly- I am having a hard time figuring out how to attach the pdf document and it doesn't seem to want me to cut and paste the info. PM me your email address and I will be happy to send it to you.