Notices

Hello. New here...

Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello. New here...

I'm on my 76th hour of being sober. Most of my withdrawals are done. Just anxiety, not wanting out of bed, and bodyaches. I drank a liter of vodka everyday for a couple of years. Lightly before that, but the habit grew bigger. I lost my husband (we're still married but sleep in different bedrooms) and I lost my job in September. Anyways, I feel a lot better today. Thanks for reading!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for coming here!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done! That is excellent, and I hope the withdrawals aren't too bad. Are you doing anything other than SR to help with your recovery, like AA?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm too scared to go to AA right now. The first 24 hours were horrible. I was vomiting, shakes, and sweat throughout the night. I loaded up on Gatorade, chicken broth, bananas, toast, and a multivitamin. Keeping hydrated. Thank you for responding.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow Mish 76 days, fantastic. And it's an inspiration to hear the anxieties and withdrawals slipping away. I hope you can re-build what was lost from the drink.

Day 12 here and I would love to be able to say 76 in the not too distant future.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

76 hours. Can't wait till 76 days
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I totally get that AA is terrifying...but when I went there I was 'welcomed home' in the most sincere way. I cried, laughed and got a tiny bit of hope in my very first meeting. Fear ruled my life in my drinking (fear of losing even more control, hurting others etc) and fear tried to isolate me from AA as it knew it would help. Sometimes we have to be extremely brave. If you feel you can go at all do seek out AA-you need not commit to it, and no one will make you stay. But it may just help you rebuild your life. I will never be able to give back to AA what working the programme has given to me.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mishneal View Post
I'm too scared to go to AA right now. The first 24 hours were horrible. I was vomiting, shakes, and sweat throughout the night. I loaded up on Gatorade, chicken broth, bananas, toast, and a multivitamin. Keeping hydrated. Thank you for responding.
Wishing you luck, when you feel better go check out a meeting!! I'm very new to the program but its helping me big time!! Keep drinking lots of water and gatoraid.. Eat as much as you can.. Hope you feel better and keep up the good work.. Booze is poison!! Your body is telling you something!!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know, but right now I'm a true emo wreck. I'd just be crying. That's why I thought joining this site would start me off comfortably.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oops! 76 days, 76 hours... One step at a time, I'm off to get my eye-sight checked
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! Glad you joined us! :ghug3
Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Dave! Yea, my internal organs are killing me. I'm only 5'4 and 120#'s and I was shoving a lot of poison in my body.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

(Obviously, Marius is obsessed with 76).

Well, spend hour 77 here too.! This site helped clear some of my reservations about AA. There are also some free, internet-based recovery programs.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi mishneal! I eased into sobriety by joining here, too. I was a wreck after drinking most of my life, and in the end it was all day. I found that posting and reading helped me keep busy and with the anxiety. I'm so glad you found us.

I'm sorry for all that you've been through. My life was turned upside down, too. I always thought I could control myself - but in the end unpredictable and dangerous things were happening every day. You will heal and move on past this frightening time. Congratulations on your hard-earned 76 hours of sobriety.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just want to offer you words of encouragement. You never have to feel like this again. You can do this, I know you can.
I lost many things to alcohol. I thought my recovery was going to be about getting things back - it is so much more than that. It is about finding out who you are. It is an amazing journey.
You are opening the door to freedom. In the beginning I was focused on feeling "deprived" of alcohol. Now I feel free from it.
Take it easy. One day at a time. Don't drink, no matter what. Walks, ice cream, Netflix. Educate yourself about alcoholism. Those are things that helped me early on.
You will never, ever, regret stopping. You are doing this!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

welcome to SR you really are in a good place coming here i was in a mess a few wks ago but people on here av really helped me and goin to narcotics anonymous meeting but AA meeting are jst as good, try to find a sponsor in your meeting and go throw a 12 step program it really does work, stick around people that are in recovery if you keep coming back as they say it really does work i've been clean off coke and weed for 15 months now and im so much happier..

Well done on getting clean keep the good work up xx
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome to SR you really are in a good place coming here i was in a mess a few wks ago but people on here av really helped me and goin to narcotics anonymous meeting but AA meeting are jst as good, try to find a sponsor in your meeting and go throw a 12 step program it really does work, stick around people that are in recovery if you keep coming back as they say it really does work i've been clean off coke and weed for 15 months now and im so much happier..

Well done on getting clean keep the good work up xx
Old 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just take care of yourself. Keep eating and drinking water, take your vitamins.. This will pass, not fun but it will pass..

Here's some stuff to listen to.. All about the history of AA and the big book.. There are also some speaker messages.. Listen on the computer or download as an MP3..

Downloads & mp3's from silkworth.net

Sure hope you feel better, I was in the same boat mid Nov!! It gets better!! Hang in there!!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Mishneal

D
Old 01-12-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank You Dee74. I think this will intensly help with my recovery.