Notices

On the Verge of a relapse?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On the Verge of a relapse?

Hello everyone. I have been sober for 7 months and 18 days. I was doing pretty good, but over the past 6 weeks I began thinking about opiates a lot. This past week it has been more than ever. I read the warning signs of relapse, and this qualifies for it. I dont want to relapse. I wouldnt even enjoy it. I would be so depressed after. That is the last thing I want to do, but this mental obsession is driving me crazy. It scares me. Please anyone help with some advice. Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you have a doctor that you see? The obsession is the worse thing, keep posting, even if it's to help others and support them, that is my one bit of advise, and the other is go to a meeting and share how you are feeling.

I hope you don't relapse, you've got some great time under you now. Good luck!! :ghug3
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

take 2 seconds to relive just half of the pain the last time you used. really think about y you stopped in the first place.. and i think we get caught up in the amount of time when been clean... but live today.. right now in this moment you are sober .. that has to be an amazing feeling..

the next time you use could be the last time......

today we speak life *hugs* your not alone.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ttal914, are you attending NA meetings?

Getting clean/sober is easy. Staying that way, if you are like me, requires daily treatment of the 12 Steps.

On my own I'm a sinking ship and I know it. Surrendering to AA/NA, not fighting, is what keeps me afloat.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No i tried to get into it. I just couldn't. My sponsor said I wasnt trying hard enough. I dont think it is for me though. I know I want to stay sober and live a happy life. My brain tells me otherwise.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ttal - sorry you're having that obsession stuff.

If AA/NA is not for you, and I seem to remember there was no SMART where you are - did you ever read up on Rational Recovery?

D
Old 01-12-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't feed the obsession Ttal. It is good to recognise it and acknowledge it for what it is, and even better to tell someone (us ) about it, but don't dwell on it. Move on, distract yourself, do something else. I would recommend AVRT for this too. This is the stuff it's really good for x
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah dee I tried the Rational Recovery thing. It seems to help. I dont know what is wrong. I think about drugs all day and how bad I am feeling inside. I really dont want to use again. I am just in a hard place right now. I am tearing up as I write this because I thought at almost 8 months it would be getting better not worse. I went to my old rehab tonight for continuing care. The counselor said I need intensive step work or I am going to go back to using because I have a disease. This made things worse. I seriously thought about calling a drug dealer, but then again I do everyday. I just want this to get better and I want to make it. I go see a psychiatrist tomorrow. Hopefully he will prescribe something to help. Tuesdays for me are always rough for some reason. Cravings and thoughts are getting worse though. I have a recovery coach who I talk to tomorrow as well. She always helps. Thanks everyone. Please chime in with some advice it is always greatly appreciated. I hope all is doing well.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is nothing wrong with you. You are an addict in recovery and that is what we do...we think about what will make us feel better when we feel yuck inside. Quitting my drug use was really hard. Maybe going to the treatment center made you think about your early clean self and it triggered the cravings. Cravings are normal. Cravings will go away. cravings will not kill you. Using drugs and drinking alcohol just may. Tuesday will be over and it will be Wednesday and easier. You are on the right track and sounds like you already know what to do and who to talk to. You got this.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ttal, just keep moving forward, you'll get there. The obsession is the worse, I haven't tried the stuff that everyone has mentioned, but if you haven't seen a doctor about getting on some meds, that might help...??? At least it could help your brain chill so you can focus more on your recovery. The best to you.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ttal914 View Post
I went to my old rehab tonight for continuing care. The counselor said I need intensive step work or I am going to go back to using because I have a disease.
Where are you going to get the intensive Step work ? Are you going to follow the counselor's direction ?

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I dont know granddaughters. I tried the program, but didnt give it my all I guess. I dont really want to either. No offense. Happy it helped so many people, but maybe it is not for me. Living miserable like this everyday is not either I suppose.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know I've asked this before, but what other changes have you made to your life Ttal?

I think not getting high is just one part of recovery - the other is being happy.

What have you done to make yourself and your life happy in the last 8 months, man?

D
Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I started working out. I go see a therapist. i have a recovery coach. I am on medication although i think it is the wrong one. i have become more spiritual. I meditate. I think I am just waiting on a breakthrough. It will come with time. They say 8 months is still early in recovery. I guess
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

when all else fails intense work with another alcoholic or addict...you have 7 months and 17 days more than the person with one day. Find a newcomer at a neeting and help them...do it on the site. Founder of AA found that was his miracle...works for millions now.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

....aa or na meetings can find you a step group. without the steps for this addict sobriety is pointless, The program isnt meetings...:ghug3 ist steps and helping others do the same..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

You ok?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Don't give up now. You are about ten days in front of me. Let's make it to 8 months. Sounds so much more than 7. From there I can see the light for the magic year, how about you.

I haven't seen a year sober in twenty years. We've come this far......

Plus, You don't want me to beat you apparently I am a very annoying winner, so my wife and kids tell me. Just gotta hang tough and you got me licked.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ttal914 View Post
I started working out. I go see a therapist. i have a recovery coach. I am on medication although i think it is the wrong one. i have become more spiritual. I meditate. I think I am just waiting on a breakthrough. It will come with time. They say 8 months is still early in recovery. I guess
Hi Ttal,

Actually I think you are handling your sobriety very responsibly. The key may be your medication, try an relax , take a deep breath, and realize you will be seeing your therapist and he can re-work your meds if needed. This is something you should work with your therapist on.

AA was not for me either--I did exactly what you are doing, and I have remained sober a long time. We all get those "trigger" moments, but be honest with your therapist and coach and let them guide you. Talk to them Now , today if you can, though.

Good luck, and stay with us till this passes, k?

TrixMixer
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone so my h for the kind words. Everyone here is so supportive. I myself find I have been kind of selfish through this process. I only think of my own problems. When I should be helping others. I will stay strong and keep everyone updated. I will come on here again if I get the urge like last night.