Notices

Hello All

Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello All

Hi, just dropping a hello as think this seems like a good resource I i have been drinking pretty badly 4-7 day binges for the past 6-8 years. I'm in the UK so my weekly intake would be around 60-80 cans of 4.0% beer... I had planned to stop in the new year but slipped up on Monday past and didn't stop until Thursday evening. I drink from when i awake until I can't stay awake! I've been in denial for a quite a while now.
I worry about my health and believe it or not have gotten used to dealing with some severe withdrawal symptoms just to get by and survive until the next binge.
My only fear is my health, i've never puked blood, bile, or been taken to hospital but I know that people have dropped dead never knowing they where killing themselves.
Well I hope I can count on support here as I plan to visit my GP after a month sober for a full check up... most of my withdrawel symptoms are over now so I hope I can stay this way.
Thanks for listening
K
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try to think about what might help you in your journey. I needed help to stay sober. How about AA, Rational Recovery, therapy, etc?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

believe it or not I know all my local AA meeting places but have never been... i've been trying for a while..i went to therepy but planned everything on other problems never mentioning drink... never told my doctor but I think she knows anyway..they say admittance is the first step so I may just get an emergency appointment on Monday and (excuse the pun) come clean..it's tough thing to admit... for years I always told people "i just love a drink" while inside I hated it and myself at the same time... I know it's tough... i always wanted to just get sober while just say "i got bored of drink" never really admitting the depth of the problem but I guess after so many times falling down a doctor seems the logical step to ask for help... my fear is it goes on your medical report which in turn goes to employers that ask for it
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are all kinds of different fears that keep us drinking...Why not check out one of those meetings?.....It can't hurt. Welcome to SR!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SavageHenry View Post
believe it or not I know all my local AA meeting places but have never been... i've been trying for a while..i went to therepy but planned everything on other problems never mentioning drink... never told my doctor but I think she knows anyway..they say admittance is the first step so I may just get an emergency appointment on Monday and (excuse the pun) come clean..it's tough thing to admit... for years I always told people "i just love a drink" while inside I hated it and myself at the same time... I know it's tough... i always wanted to just get sober while just say "i got bored of drink" never really admitting the depth of the problem but I guess after so many times falling down a doctor seems the logical step to ask for help... my fear is it goes on your medical report which in turn goes to employers that ask for it
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Savage, you have to be honest. I know it's easy to be honest here, because you can walk away from us, but please tell your therapist and your doctor. I know it's hard to do, but they will do what they can to help you, even us here.

As for an AA meeting, you can go and just sit and listen. You can take a seat in back and just hear what others have to say, just because you go to a meeting, doesn't mean you have to talk, but something someone says in the meeting might help you.

One of the biggest things about getting better in recovery IS BEING HONEST!!! It will be your biggest ally. Hope you will try, and welcome to SR, this site is wonderful for support.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

By the way, if this helps, get it out of your head that "if I tell my doctor and therapist, then I'll have to stop drinking", because I did not stay sober for almost five years (I relapsed) by going "I can never ever drink again...", I just told myself that I wasn't planning on today, or this week... Taking that whole commitment off of your shoulders can help, just make for today, that is all you have to commit to.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Henry

If you're quitting now, why wait a month to see your Doc?
I know it's scary but it's best of the way - then you can set your mind at rest

D
Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Henry

I wouldn't worry about it going on your medical records (it's all over mine) as employers can't ask for your medical records willy nilly. It has to be related to your job and is probably only likely if you are employed and been off work for a long period of time. Even then they'd need your permission. I'm not a solicitor, I'm just guessing

But if it really concerns you you can bypass them in the UK and self refer to an alcohol and drug agency. They can liaise with your doctor but I don't think they have to, and they often have their own doctors there. Or alternatively you can ask your doctor to refer you to them...

I found it really hard to admit to my drinking problem too. Well, I had been able to admit it to myself but not to other people. Talking to people helps. I'd recommend phoning AA. I did that and someone very kindly met me before the meeting. I'm not sure I would have had the courage before that.

Also you could phone drinkline (0800 917 8282) and they could tell you what support is available in your area.

Glad you're here x
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to our recovery community! :ghug3
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yeah see i always justified it as well "I ONLY drink beer" but I do drink an awful lot of it, i've lost a few jobs over it and just can't stop... so there is when the penny should have dropped but that was two years ago.
I want to go to the doctor in a month as I was told by my doctor a few years ago that to get a true enzyme reading or whatever it is called on your liver for functions you need a few weeks for it to settle to its "normal" functionality.
Thanks for the replies and will keep updated...
New Year... New start I hope
K

Yeah I think it's time for me to be honest as well
Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was just a beer drinker too Henry, well, more or less. I wrote a post about it... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-bad-you.html

Have you got any support to help you stay stopped? You're health can only get better but staying stopped is usually the problem x
Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome SavageHenry/k You'll learn so much by being here with us. This place saw me through some very difficult days. It's great to have somewhere to go where people really understand us. Congratulations on wanting a better life. You can do it.