Notices

newcomer

Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newcomer

I have really never spoken to anyone about my husbands addiction besides to family... He is addicted to prescription drugs... like many who I am realizing now I was in denial he had a problem so bad that he coudlnt stop when he wanted to... He was such a different person ... a loving father, happy, and couldn't lie for anything... I didn't realize how bad he was until we had twins and I was up at night with them as so was he ... he got so bad he was mixing all kinds of stuff... he got arrested... i moved out ... he went to rehab ... I thought he was doing great but he fooled me and everyone else and starting using soon after coming out. However he is not doing all the drugs he did before so he is again a functioning drug addict. He repeatedly has told me he doesn't like the person he is and knows he has to stop but I just don't believe him anymore. I feel like I am going crazy again and I don't know what to do.. anyone have any suggestions to help please do
Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome dtrim,,, sorry for your situation, its a toughy !!
maybe you could try reding in the forums, substance abuse,, or indeed familys/partners of addicts?
i feel for you hun,, especially when you are a mommy, its well,,, hard work on its own hey gal??
good luck and keep here,, theres so many peeps who can help you,,, have a good look around and all the best
lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-12-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you really want to try to help him, find some local meetings and support groups and try them out together
Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know, I believe the part about him not liking himself, because anyone who knows what they're doing is wrong can feel nothing but disappointed with themselves. I hope that you all get a plan and he gets himself back on the right track. I'm sorry that you're going through this. :ghug3
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, DT

Your first answer is from the UK, then the East, and now Pacific Northwest. Sorry for the late responses--I hope you check back in today. Saturday is fairly busy here, so your posts should be noticed...

Look at the family support threads... In a pinch, call a crisis line (those folks are very helpful in PREVENTING a crisis). And please check in with us!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you everyone for your support.. It is really tough and I will take you up on your responses .. i know i should go to meetings but its so hard with infants to go places but I will try .. any other suggestions on what to do is great
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome dtrim

I'm sorry for your situation but as you can see there's a lot of support here

we also have Family and Friends forums you might also be interested in reading over and posting in

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
D
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He has to REALLY want to be sober for himself. I'm not sure what kinds of pills you are talking about, but I have known people who got addicted to opiate pills and they are like getting off of heroin. There's a great documentary about an NBA played who got addicted to them called 30 for 30: Unguarded. Its on netflix if you have that.

At the end of the day, you can't control him, you can only control yourself. If I were you, I would define very strict boundaries with him and whether or not he decides to change his ways is up to him. Other than that, you need to go on with your life.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Depending on where you are, you might be able to get someone to come to your home. But your husband would need to probably talk to them on the phone first.