Notices

On no! I feel like I cheated!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On no! I feel like I cheated!

I am on Day 3. My first night, I took some melatonin and Benadryl before bed, and as one would expect, I slept terribly. Probably 2 hours of sleep over 6 hours spent in bed. Yesterday I did great - got up early, stayed busy all day, got a TON done. I went and picked up the sleep medication that my doctor prescribed for me (Klonopin).

So on Sobriety Night 2, I took one of the pills, and it didn't seem to do ANYTHING. So I took one more. Then I slept for a solid 8 hours. This might have partially been accumulated sleep deprivation - 3 nights of crappy alcohol-induced sleep plus 1 night of crappy withdrawal sleep. But I'm afraid I cheated. I haven't seen anyone say, "Oh yeah, the first night was terrible, but after that I slept GREAT." No one says that. So I think it was more the medication than the sleep deprivation.

I'm not going to lie, it really felt great to get a solid 8 hours. I didn't go to bed feeling drugged or dopey. I read for a little bit and then turned off the light. But I don't feel like I made any progress towards the ultimate goal of "falling asleep naturally." I think that, without meaning to, I cheated. (Although I didn't drink.)

From here on out, I will not double the dose again. Otherwise I fear I'll end up trading one "I can't sleep without this substance" for a different "I can't sleep without this substance."

Did I totally screw up????
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I always slept terrible the few evenings after a bender and nothing I could do (naturally) could change that. I feel your pain. Now sober I take a natural supplement at night and drink some sleepy tea and make sure that all distractions are quieted and I find that I sleep pretty good. If my mind happens to be cluttered with racing thoughts I throw on my mediation CD and fall asleep to that. I know it sounds hokey but it works for me.
Don't beat yourself up too bad. You know what you have to do. It's hard and it hurts a lot but luckily the payoff is sobriety.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Melatonin is natural. Our bodies make it when it gets dark. But any type of sleeping pill should be used as it was prescribed. I would just be incredibly mindful about this.

Natom.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

If you are trying to kick pills as well then maybe it's a slip. If you're trying to quit drinking and there isn't alcohol in what you took I don't think it would be a slip. My sleep schedule was messed up for a couple of months, it's still not completely normal. I've taken sleep aids occasionally, but don't consider that they affected my sobriety. We need sleep for sanity!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you come off of alcohol, it takes at least a week for your body to fall asleep naturally. Be patient. I (even now) when I can't fall asleep, I just looking to see what is going to be on tv next, and eventually I fall asleep.

PS - The Klonopin can become addictive also. IJS.

Good Luck.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
If you are trying to kick pills as well then maybe it's a slip. If you're trying to quit drinking and there isn't alcohol in what you took I don't think it would be a slip. My sleep schedule was messed up for a couple of months, it's still not completely normal. I've taken sleep aids occasionally, but don't consider that they affected my sobriety. We need sleep for sanity!
I'm not trying to kick pills as well - just alcohol. My doctor prescribed the sleeping pills...I just shouldn't have taken two of them because the instructions are to take only one. Thank you for the encouragement, I really appreciate it!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did I totally screw up???? :scared:[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are aware at least. I am also an addict so for me any mood or mind altering chemical is a no no for me. I know If anything makes me feel good or calm I want more. Even cake lol Have a good day!