Notices

Trying to stay sober this weekend? Check in here!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You can do it Flyer
Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am off to a meeting in a bit to start another (hopefully) weekend. I will be seeing a band, going to have dinner with my parents, a bit of work, and a heavy dose of reading new books I got for Christmas this weekend. Don't want a drink, and hopefully won't have one. ODAAT!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Definatley checking-in on this thread!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have decided to relearn a language I once knew so I will be going to class on Saturday morning. I think having a fixed appointment and commitment in the morning is really motivating. I'll go to church on Sunday too. I hate going to church with a hangover and of course, there's no need to do so.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I will be going into the city tomorrow night for a play on Broadway....the city always has always been for me a HUGE trigger just because of all the activity and seeing all the people going about their Saturday nights hopping into bars and clubs, all the lights...etc...ill be with family so it shouldn't be too big of a problem plus my sober friend is just a call or text away...part of me just wants to stay home but the other part is telling me to go so I can learn to do things like this when im sober...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It is funny....I was thinking about what I will do this week end to remain sober..and then it kind of hit me..

I was sitting at my desk a couple of minutes ago and am starting to get a headache. Not from drinking as I have been sober for more than several days. I actually felt really good this morning waking up sober.

Then it hit me. Why, why would I want to wake up tomorrow morning feeling like crap with a pounding headache (all this on top of regret)...

This evening when I go to be sober I know I will sleep well. Tomorrow is suppose to be a mild sunny day. I want to enjoy the whole day...not part of it.

This evening when the av kicks in, remember just how crappy you will feel in the morning if listen to that voice.

Jim
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This will be my first weekend sober in a very very long time. I havent got anything planned just going to take it easy, read, some exercise and be on SR. I know we are best to take it a day at a time but Im focusing on how good it will feel to not be hungover/still half drunk on Monday morning. Ive got a heavy day at work on Monday so having a clear head will be amazing.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My gosh ken. I needed this thread for the weekend so badly. Starting over with 11 days and my old drinking buddy guest in town. Makes me want to just line up the bottles and get to work! Funny thing is, before she even came to visit she said "I know you always get me a big bottle when I come out but please, this time don't. I see you have stopped drinking and I really want to cut down myself." I was dumbfounded. During the past couple months back she saw I wasn't drinking and must have put two and two together. I said, "are you sure? Because I was going to go to Costco to get ready for your visit (vodka)" she said "really, no I don't want any".
That's such progress and doesn't make me crave it less but man do our actions speak louder than words.
I know she will still drink some and I romanticize about all the fun we had in the past even though I felt like garbage the next day. After her long visits (2-3 weeks) I was always exhausted and depressed. I don't want to be like that anymore.
I need strength this weekend. Thank you. I'm grateful.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Peace.... I used to say the same thing. I found after many failures... Not that you will.... That I cannot just leave it as I will relax and take it easy. I even had very very big days at work and still wound up drunk all weekend and high as a kite on coke driving to work Monday hoping I could walk from my desk to what ever I needed to do.

I want to hear from you Monday so share that you did do what you wanted and stayed sober. For me.... It takes more planning.

Ken
Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Peace.... I used to say the same thing. I found after many failures... Not that you will.... That I cannot just leave it as I will relax and take it easy. I even had very very big days at work and still wound up drunk all weekend and high as a kite on coke driving to work Monday hoping I could walk from my desk to what ever I needed to do.

I want to hear from you Monday so share that you did do what you wanted and stayed sober. For me.... It takes more planning.

Ken

Hi Ken, thanks for your reply. You are right I have done that many many times before. Im still kinda feeling the effects of withdrawls so thought Id just have a quiet weekend and not pressurise myself to do much. Im just going to read a lot and be on here and sleep (hopefully). And I WILL post on Monday saying I had a sober weekend. Thanks so much makes me feel so much better thinking there is somebody out "there" who cares. Hope you have a sober and good weekend yourself:ghug3
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Peace...Will be looking for your post on Monday as well...you can do it..

Jim
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks too Jim, hope you have a good and sober weekend as well :ghug3
Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Huh?

I think SoberLicious brought this up, but check out Meetup groups in your area, www.meetup.com
I'm not sure if its just an American site though?
They have meetups for EVERYTHING you could imagine. Sports, languages, hiking, quilting, religion, sobriety, books, anythinggggg.
In fact, I've met countless friends through this site, REAL friends.
Give it a shot!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Huh?

endlesspatience, which language????
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

On my second weekend.....you have good words friend...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

It's my first weekend! I will be on my own tonight and tomorrow which will be big, but I have put a lot into place to stay sober, busy, and healthy. Sunday my football team is playing in the playoffs which was another huge drinking time for me, but I am going to be with supportive people. Stay strong everyone and hopefully I will see you on here throughout the weekend. I know coming on here and seeing how everyone is doing helps me so much, so for that I thank you. Let's do this.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

What i'll do this weekend to stay sober?
Well, it's my first weekend not scheduled for drinking since i was 18 years old, so i will do what i did back there when i hadn't my weekend planned around the bottle.
I never knew my notebook could play so many games!!!
I know, it's not perfect, i could do something useful, but for now, it keeps me happy and far away from alcohol.
And for now, that is pretty damn useful!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello from the fortress against alcohol that is my bed .

I'm stocked up on tea and milk (reserve long life capacity in the cupboard) the freezer has a weeks worth of ready meals just incase . i have quite a few DVD's i havn't watched yet on the side over there .. i have a couple of unread 1000 page + sci-fi books , SR online , my X-box and it's games . I have also put my PJ's on so i've undressed and therfore can't go out .

I know i can manage with ease sobriety from my fortress , so then it's up to me how much or often i venture out and if it get's too much being out i know a tactical retreat to fortress is always there .

Fortresses take many different shapes and forms , for some AA meetings , for me my Bed , this thread , SR , the arcade games , church , mosque , temple , ashram , for those of us who meditate or pray maybe even certain states of mind .

I think it's worthwhile understanding and appreciating what works for you in this respect , good luck you new weekenders .

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

link to the arcade just incase you guys missed it in the buttons up top , i cartainly never noticed it for ages !

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - Arcade
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post

I'm stocked up on tea and milk (reserve long life capacity in the cupboard) the freezer has a weeks worth of ready meals just incase . i have quite a few DVD's i havn't watched yet on the side over there .. i have a couple of unread 1000 page + sci-fi books , SR online , my X-box and it's games . I have also put my PJ's on so i've undressed and therfore can't go out .

I know i can manage with ease sobriety from my fortress , so then it's up to me how much or often i venture out and if it get's too much being out i know a tactical retreat to fortress is always there .

Fortresses take many different shapes and forms , for some AA meetings , for me my Bed , this thread , SR , the arcade games , church , mosque , temple , ashram , for those of us who meditate or pray maybe even certain states of mind .

I think it's worthwhile understanding and appreciating what works for you in this respect , good luck you new weekenders .
I will have my carbonated water (a staple for me) and tea. I will be going to a toning class and Zumba Saturday, but otherwise I will cook something for the game on Sunday and then I'll be posted up playing XBox and checking in on SR. Good plan, mecanix...do what you gotta do to stay clean and sober this weekend.