Notices

Walls crumbling

Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Huh?

Walls crumbling

I can't get a loan to buy a car because I'm a full time student with no job income.

The house my mom left us is being foreclosed on.

I owe thousands for various reasons to various people.

This is my last semester in my masters program and I was planning to write my thesis the whole time.

How can I when I'll be soooo distracted now???

I'm not tempted to drink, but I'm having a serious case of anxiety. Barely holding it together right now.

I need SOLUTIONS!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone, alcoholic addict or not, who ever had a thesis to submit had things go right that last semester HereIAm

Do you have a Student Support Services/counsellor area on campus? they may be able to help with suggestions for some of this?

D
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The advice I have for you may sound silly but here it is....just focus on what you can do for today. Worrying about all of these things at once will just overwhelm you. It's hard at first but with practice it should become normal...so I hear lol Today really is all we have and the outcome of some things will happen whether or not we consume ourselves with worry. I still do it ...some days are better than others. Congrats on your last semester..I remember loving that feeling of knowing it was almost over! Maybe speak to a financial advisor about the other stuff?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Huh?

I think there is, yeah. I'll check it out when school starts.

So much for dreaming of working in DC and making decent money.

*slaps self* Sorry, I don't want to whine. I'm just so overwhelmed now!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Huh?

quitforme, you're right. All I can do is focus on one day at a time. I just hope one day I will never have to worry about these basic survival skills again.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Totally with you on that hereiam. There's always some kind of "thing" to get thru though. Take it as a learning experience that will only make you more resourceful. Give yourself credit for the things you ARE doing. A master's degree is not easy to obtain. And it will allow you more opportunities. Be proud
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I remember when staying sober for a week seemed like an unbelievably long time , i stayed sober doing it little bit by little bit .

Using the same principal here I'd be tempted to make a list of what i could do something about , prioritize it and then set about doing it little by little as otherwise i'd get overwhelmed, at least then win/loose i've given it my best shot .

I'd also be looking for support from college / uni as i'm sure i'd not be the first person with problems to attend campus and you never know where support or help may come from untill you start asking or calling for help .

Those things i had no contol over i'd just have to hand over to my H.P. and hope / pray for an end or change .

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I wrote my undergrade thesis and when now studying for law school I have found it helpful to

- Break the paper into parts instead of thinking of it as a this massive paper. This way it will be easier to manage. 100 pages sounds impossible, but looking at it as smaller parts (10 papers of 10 pages each) is easier to imagine getting done.

- Set up a specific amount of time to work on it and go somewhere with no distractions, like a library.

- Don't think about it, just do it. I found that I would think about it so much and drive myself crazy, all the while getting nothing done. When I refused to let myself think about it, and instead just worked on it, I got alot more finished.

- Try to take care of yourself. Eating right and sleeping enough help keep your head clear.

- Take small walks when you need a break from working on your thesis. I found when I would take a break and go on facebook, watch tv, or go on the internet...my small break would turn into hours of procrastinating.

Lastly, when panic starts to set in, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that you are intelligent, and more than capable of getting this done. You wouldn't have gotten this far in school if you didn't have what it takes !
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't think anyone, alcoholic addict or not, who ever had a thesis to submit had things go right that last semester HereIAm

Do you have a Student Support Services/counsellor area on campus? they may be able to help with suggestions for some of this?

D
My college has a counseling hotline especially for students. Dee has a good point, does yours? Give them a call. You're so close to the end, and I KNOW this is all going to get better. Good luck!!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Huh?

Gosh you guys are all just so AMAZING :''')))
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Re the house foreclosure...have you tried to sell it? Have you looked into a short sale instead of a foreclosure? Some banks will work with you on that.
Loan modification? Having a tenant or roommate to catch up on payments owned? Sometimes there are options when you think you're out of luck in this situation.

It sounds like everything is hitting you at once-just try to deal with each situation a little each day-it can't be solved all at once, it's taken probably years to develop to this point.

Can you put off school for a little bit so you can work and pay off some debts and then go back with a more clear head?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Huh?

Might end up doing a short sale instead, yeah -- talking to realtor tmrw.

Issues haven't been building up that long, but maybe they have afterall. Mom died 2 years ago.....
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

In early sobriety when I was all "what do I do NOW?" it was suggested I do the next right thing. As in immediately, right where i was, in this instant. That prevented much of the paralysis I was prone to.

it still does.