Notices

How long does this feeling last?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

anxiety is part of the flight or fight response. Although you are 100% commited to staying sober your sub consience is aware of the big step and the change that is going on now inside your body. I suffered anxiety before I drank due to PTSD and drank to drown out that feeling... ask your doctor for propollol rather than valium etc... it helps the physical symptoms and lets you begin to heal mentally... without the valium brain fuzz.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you SavageHenry, your reply and everyone elses really really helps me. I have a whole bottle of Ativan that I have been holding off taking because I don't want to become addicted to them. I am sure they would make me feel better but I also have the worry that the anxiety will last for the rest of my life and I will need the Ativan to live with it.

I took a walk and feel better. I actually talked to someone out front of their house and it made me feel better. This is really hard!!! Going to an AA Meeting at 12:30 today.

Thank you again and I hope you are doing better!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Enjoy the meeting Bob!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Bob22 View Post

I just don't understand it, one minute I feel great and then the next I have this Anxiety.
Have you seen a doctor about this? 18 days is great by the way good for you! I was still struggling at 18 days too, it really does get better, sometimes it hard to believe it will, but it does.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
Have you seen a doctor about this? 18 days is great by the way good for you! I was still struggling at 18 days too, it really does get better, sometimes it hard to believe it will, but it does.
I went to a walk-in Care and the doctor gave me the ativan, he told me to follow up with my regular doctor. I didn't do that and I only took one of those pills the first night he prescribed them. I made an appointment with a Dr./Counselor that deals in Alcohol addiction. I am praying that he will try and help me deal with this.

It makes me feel a lot better know that this just takes a while and 18 days isn't enough for some people.

Thank you so much for your post, it means the world when someone is going through this!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You're welcome. I had an addiction counsellor also and he was really good. I found it really helped especially in the early days. If you don't click with this one try another one until you find someone that clicks. I personally needed more than just AA. Sometimes they can recommend other programs.

Good luck and you can do this!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am only two months sober, and I still have cravings and the occasion 'twitch' from the adrenalin.
Been doing my mtgs, reading the Big Book. Rereading and marking relevant portions. Keeping busy, all of which are helping me.
But on the whole, I feel fantastic. Full of vim and vigor.
Yes, the anxiety is occasionally there, but I am channeling into productive things.
We are ALL different. My reaction is different than yours, etc.
I agree with another poster who says he goes for walks. It is currently 22 degrees. Icy, so will put crampons (Yaktrax) on my boots. No wind, so not that bad. I will bundle up myself, pull a sweater on the dog and we will walk to the mall and back. A honking big cup of coffee when we get back home. Dog will get a healthy snack.
Tomorrow after my meeting and then watching the Seahawks, I will go to a movie. Keeping busy, keeping busy.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you LatteLady!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today was hell! But the last 4 hours have been Great! Going to sleep and hope I feel good tomorrow. And I hope all of you are doing well!!!

Thank you all!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Bob. I'll just chime in with the rest - it took me way longer than 18 days to lose the anxiety.

I'm glad to see the end of your day was better than the beginning. Let us know how you are tomorrow. It's good you're seeing your doctor just to be safe. You're doing great - everything's going to be ok.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Going to an AA Meeting at 12:30 today.
How was the meeting ?? .....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Bob,
I have been in your shoes a few times. Time is your best medicine here. Our brains need to 're-wire' themselves after regular exposure to alcohol stops. I stopped drinking last year after years of abusing it. It took me a month before I could even sleep for more than a few hours. Hang in there!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Man it is nice to hear that other people went through this. If anyone else felt like me this long please let me know.

Thank you Hevyn and Wastinglife!! I appreciate more than I could ever say!!

2granddaughters, yesterday would have been my second meeting. It went well but my Anxiety was really bothering me at the time. If or when I want a drink I know where to go.

I slept great again last night. Now I have slight Anxiety, not as bad as yesterday but it feels like it is fighting me to be bad.

The good thing is I know that I can still feel good as last night proved that to me. I just want my life back. God I want my Life back!

Thank you all!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It has been two weeks since I stopped drinking. I went through Alcohol withdrawal. I thought things were getting better but today I woke up with Anxiety and feelings of hopelessness. In the afternoon I felt like I was back to normal and now I am having the Anxiety feeling really strongly again.

Is this normal for someone that has quit drinking? Will I ever get through this?

I really thought I was better!!!
Someone might have already mentioned this(I didn't read the all the posts).

Anxiety is a common symptom of alcohol withdrawal. So is sleeplessness and depression.

If you can, see your doctor and ask him/her to prescribe something to ease your anxiety and help you sleep.

If you went cold turkey, like i did, it can be hard mentally and physically. I never really got depressed, but i definitely had anxiety and could not easily fall asleep for about 10 days.

For me, two weeks sober would be enough time to get through the crappy part of the physical withdrawals. So, I am thinking maybe you are close to the end of those symptoms.

However, if you can, go see your doctor.
Explain that you are quitting drinking and are feeling some anxiety and he/she will probably give you something for that.

I don't advocate medication, but it will take the strain off of your heart, relieve the anxiety, and keep you calm until the physical withdrawals have gone away.

The alternative is, tough it out, which sucks from my experience. Also, is not good for your body, especially if you are older. I.E. 30+ age
Old 01-13-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ruserius247 View Post
Someone might have already mentioned this(I didn't read the all the posts).

Anxiety is a common symptom of alcohol withdrawal. So is sleeplessness and depression.

If you can, see your doctor and ask him/her to prescribe something to ease your anxiety and help you sleep.

If you went cold turkey, like i did, it can be hard mentally and physically. I never really got depressed, but i definitely had anxiety and could not easily fall asleep for about 10 days.

For me, two weeks sober would be enough time to get through the crappy part of the physical withdrawals. So, I am thinking maybe you are close to the end of those symptoms.

However, if you can, go see your doctor.
Explain that you are quitting drinking and are feeling some anxiety and he/she will probably give you something for that.

I don't advocate medication, but it will take the strain off of your heart, relieve the anxiety, and keep you calm until the physical withdrawals have gone away.

The alternative is, tough it out, which sucks from my experience. Also, is not good for your body, especially if you are older. I.E. 30+ age
Hello ruserius247 and thanks for your reply!!! Been rough going this morning, Anxiety at it's max. Just can't wrap my head around it that it could last this long. The doctor did prescribe me Ativan two weeks ago. I only took one the first night. Have been afraid to take them since but have been wanting to take them ever since as well.

If I thought that the Ativan would help my body readjust I would take it. But if it is just to get through the Anxiety, I would have been out by now. And then probably would freak out if they wouldn't give me more.

I just hope to god that later today I feel like I did yesterday afternoon.

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Been really rough again this morning. Went for a walk felt a little better. Than about 30 mintutes later the chemical rush came on. And Anxiety was full blast.

Chemical rush is the only way I can explain it. When I woke up this morning I felt good. As I laid there, I would feel weird feelings in my chest arms and back of neck. Something like adrenilin.

Tried to goto store to feel better. Usually that helps but this time it was bad in the store. Didn't feel good at all. As usual, started worrying that this is the way I am going to be for the rest of my life.

Came home and forced a granola bar down. Laid down on couch and started feeling a calm come over me.

Anyway, feeling ok now but I can feel the Anxiety biting at the bit. I am going to lay back down.

God I hope this goes away and I can get my life back!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

2granddaughters, yesterday would have been my second meeting. It went well but my Anxiety was really bothering me at the time. If or when I want a drink I know where to go.
Bob, you don't go to the meetings when you think about drinking. You go to the meetings so you won't think about drinking.

When you get attending regularly and talking with the oldtimers your anxiety will subside.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Bob22,

I didn't read all the posts on this thread but did read a lot of them. I'm on day 28 and have had a whole lot of anxiety, tension, bad headaches, and dark thoughts over the last week. The only times I get out of the bad stuff in my head is when I'm with other people -- especially people in recovery. I'm going to an AA meeting every day and sometimes 2, and have started talking to a couple of people I've met there. Even when those conversations don't go well, during the talking I get this marvelous release from the pressure in my head. At this point in my recovery, I couldn't get along w/out being able to talk to/listen to others about this problem.

It seems like you went to a couple of meetings but haven't gotten involved. Are you isolating yourself in your sobriety?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Hi Bob22,

I didn't read all the posts on this thread but did read a lot of them. I'm on day 28 and have had a whole lot of anxiety, tension, bad headaches, and dark thoughts over the last week. The only times I get out of the bad stuff in my head is when I'm with other people -- especially people in recovery. I'm going to an AA meeting every day and sometimes 2, and have started talking to a couple of people I've met there. Even when those conversations don't go well, during the talking I get this marvelous release from the pressure in my head. At this point in my recovery, I couldn't get along w/out being able to talk to/listen to others about this problem.

It seems like you went to a couple of meetings but haven't gotten involved. Are you isolating yourself in your sobriety?
Thank you Courage2. I have only been to two meetings. When I am having the Anxiety attacks it is hard for me to sit and listen to the people talk about anything other than what I am going through. I will be going back. and I have a Alcohol counsler meeting tomorrow.

Hope this post finds you Anxiety Free!!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
p***enger

I find it hard, too. I probably look pretty twitchy to the rest of the room, what with rubbing my neck & temples, clenching my fists, and popping my jaw, LOL. I'm not having full-blown panic attacks though -- just a lot of tension and a sense of despair.

I hope the counselor has some advice for you tomorrow -- if the problem persists, you might look into CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) which is supposed to work well with a lot of anxiety disorders.