Notices

Are all AA meetings faith based?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are all AA meetings faith based?

I like the idea of the meetings, and meeting others going through the same things. But I have to admit that personally I'm not religious. I've never been to an AA meeting, so I don't know what they are like. But I know for sure that if I went and only heard people rave about how god or jesus saved them I probably wouldn't return, because I couldn't relate to that.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way. My mom was an addict and was in NA and found god there. She says it helped her, and that she doesn't feel empty anymore and I think that if that helps you then amazing I'm very happy for those that do. I have to believe it worked because she has now been clean 8 years.

I just have my own beliefs and I'm wondering if all meetings focus on religion or if its something that is pushed, or if its there but not a major part.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Read the Big Book of Alcoholics Annonymous. Read the steps. You should get your answer.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The Big Book and AA are very straightforward in accepting agnostics and atheists.

People who want to "rave about how god or jesus saved them" would probably find a better audience at a church. I have heard people at meetings rave about how AA saved them.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go to a meeting, they don't care if your higher power is big bird!! Only thing it takes to be a member is the desire to stop drinking! That's it! Let them know its your first meeting, just listen as long as you want.. You don't have to share if they call on you simply pass.. It's sure helped me! Find a meeting and go today! Good luck!!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You would assume that AA is all about God. They use the word enough in their literature. But I know atheists and agnostics who are in AA/NA who use whatever they want as their higher power. It can be people or things. The only requirement is that it is something more powerful than you.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Without knowing anything about the meetings having never been to one, yes, that was my first impression. Good to hear otherwise although I'm all for people using whatever higher power helps them.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
So it goes

There are meetings where faith is not so prominent.

With AA groups you have to suck and see. There will be another group near you , if the one you choose to go to is too faith oriented

Dont let that put you off, stopping drinking is the most important, interpret the faith as a faith and respect for yourself.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i know a man in AA who has been using a squirrel as his higher power for a very long time. he's sober and its been working.
"Good to hear otherwise although I'm all for people using whatever higher power helps them. "

its all about a higher power of your own understanding and perception, a higher power that will help you with all your problems.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try a meeting. If you don't like it, try a different one. Try a different one even if you do like it. Try a bunch of meetings for a while, and then decide whether it's for you or not. Meetings can vary greatly in their focus, and in the people who go to the groups. There are several different kinds of meetings too. Your best bet would be to check out some closed discussion, beginner, or open meetings.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

My higher power for example is a wolf called Gray. I watched a film called 'The Gray'....that has wolves in it. So there you go. Job done. I choose a wolf as they are smart, family orientated, nurturing...and really violent when you annoy them. You can pick whatever floats your boat.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Did your mom suddenly get religious?

Meetings contain a crossection of the community. Expect to find as wide a variety of views on religion there as those of people at your local shopping mall. Some are for it, some are not. In my group of 40 we have 2 known Christians, and as many suspected but not admitted, the rest are not saying.

Since religion's not a factor in people living spiritually, it doesn't come up much. Evaporative cooler maintenence comes up about as much as people's religious practices and gets closer attention paid because it is far more interesting.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My one year experience with AA I was put off by the very first thing was the Serenity Prayer. Always ended with the Lord's Prayer. To me that is religious. Didn't care for it.

But, I could get past that to get into the meat of the meetings. Sometimes someone would get all Bible and God on things, but not often.

I suggest you go and see what it's about and what your tolerance level is. After a year it wasn't my thing, but it sure has worked for many and I have used several principles and met some good sober friends.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was listening to a guy last night at a meeting...37 years sober. He said he went to his first meeting and a guy walked up to him and said..."I'm going to be your sponsor." he said he told the guy..."I'm not an alcoholic." So the guy told him..."Well, you'll do till one comes along." He said he had he same problem....He didn't believe in anything. His new sponsor asked him...."Who makes the wind blow?" That's all it took him to become willing to believe in something. Your Higher Power can be whatever you want. Maybe it can just be what makes the wind blow....AA is not religious....Spiritual...Yes. There is a difference. Congrats to your mom on 8 years!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Try a meeting. If you don't like it, try a different one. Try a different one even if you do like it. Try a bunch of meetings for a while, and then decide whether it's for you or not. Meetings can vary greatly in their focus, and in the people who go to the groups. There are several different kinds of meetings too. Your best bet would be to check out some closed discussion, beginner, or open meetings.
Well said, Joe... There are many meetings if you don't care for the group try another group till you find one you like.. Speaker meetings are great too!

I live in Boulder and this guy was sharing the other day and his higher power is grass and trees.. Doesn't bother me a bit.. What ever works.. Net-net, these people are just like you and me and the rest of SR.. They just want to help.. I promise you'll feel better after the meeting than you did before...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went to a couple meetings (held in the basement of a church, ironically) held by a group called "Quad-A" - AA for Atheists and Agnostics. It was okay but there's a lot about AA and meetings in general that I really don't like.

I'm not only just "non-religious", but I happen to agree wholeheartedly with scientists like Richard Dawkins and even flag-bearers like Christopher Hitchens - that religion is an antiquated thought process that is no better than believing in Santa Claus. Adults that believe in religion should be treated with just as much respect as children, etc, etc. Sorry but it's true, I just can't imagine how people can look themselves in the mirror and say "I believe in a higher power in the sky, an invisible man or a divine wind will judge me and is looking after us all". It's tripe.

I have to be careful about this because it can be extremely offensive to people. I certainly don't go around talking like that nor would I ever have want to start an argument, it's just a waste of time and comes off as mean-spirited.

Maybe you could make atheism a part of your recovery? Google or Youtube "Richard Dawkins", read his book The God Delusion, and check out some Chris Hitchens vids. Either way it's something to do for a few hours and you won't think about drinking while you watch.

Best of luck!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Faith is a science. Why plant a seed if you don't think it will grow. Anything of success is based in some part on faith.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the info. I found a meeting close to home and I plan to attend on Saturday. Do any of you know what an attitude adjustment meeting is? Also, did any of you feel uncomfortable going to your first meeting? I have this weird phobia going on in my head that I will walk up to this group standing outside smoking, not know where to go and being the new person in a group of already established friends. (damn social anxiety)........
Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amandy View Post
Thank you all for the info. I found a meeting close to home and I plan to attend on Saturday. Do any of you know what an attitude adjustment meeting is?
I don't believe there is such a thing, at least not in NY. People will often say however that you need a little Attitude Adjustment (AA).
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Attitude Adjustment is just the name of the group...I go to one called The Out To Lunch Bunch...They just have names. Check out this site...It answers a lot of questions.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Pretty much everyone is terrified of their first meeting- I was no different. I'm also not religious but so far there has been very little actual talk of God even though others talking about their own beliefs doesn't bother me. The meetings I have been to so far do recite the lord's prayer at the end and having grown up Catholic I just say it because I figure why not I don't mind, I doubt I will be brainwashed by a few lords prayers.

As for my higher power, I don't worry too much about specifically defining it as something. I just know that I was born in 1985 and have no idea where "I" was before that. I and no one else on this giant floating rock have any solid evidence as to where we came from, where we are going, what happens after we die etc... So to me it feels a bit arrogant to say "I know exactly what the forces of the universe are or are not". This being said its easy for me to understand that there is much about this existence we don't know, and certainly within that vast lack of knowledge there is plenty of room for powers that are way above and beyond ourselves. Sure some hard core Christian old timer might want to pick that thought process apart but to work the steps and stop drinking this is something that keeps my mind open and keeps me humble.