Notices

Are all AA meetings faith based?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I heard another line a guy said to someone struggling with this I liked....Someone or Something hung that moon up there....And it wasn't you. Don't get caught up in it...Go and listen...Try to identify and not compare...The worst that can happen to you is you'll meet some amazing people...Just like you.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

New people enter AA all the time, so they are used to integrating, greeting and welcoming new folks. I dont' think you will have a hard time meeting people.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I would just be as honest as possible, I had to come clean about things in my life that were eating me up, no matter how small. I will beg you to get numbers of members and call them. It helps them more than it helps you most of the time
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm going to a meeting at 5:30....It's called New Attitudes....We talk about alcoholism...And the solution...The steps. Be sure and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amandy View Post
I like the idea of the meetings, and meeting others going through the same things. But I have to admit that personally I'm not religious. I've never been to an AA meeting, so I don't know what they are like. But I know for sure that if I went and only heard people rave about how god or jesus saved them I probably wouldn't return, because I couldn't relate to that.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way. My mom was an addict and was in NA and found god there. She says it helped her, and that she doesn't feel empty anymore and I think that if that helps you then amazing I'm very happy for those that do. I have to believe it worked because she has now been clean 8 years.

I just have my own beliefs and I'm wondering if all meetings focus on religion or if its something that is pushed, or if its there but not a major part.
Faith based? I sure as hell hope so. From my own personal experience, I found it important to have "faith" that I could stop drinking and I also found it important that the people in AA had "faith" that I could as well. Now.....religion is quite another thing. AA says "higher power"........that is not religion. When I was in AA I refered to my higher power as God, but God isn't religion either. God is universal. Today I say "universal spirit" or something similar. It's all semantics. Call it whatever you want. AA is not religious, but going there will help you to have faith that you will be able to do this recovery thing.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I have only ever met one Christian in AA and that was when I was in. Christian rehab. The notion is that a lot of recovering Christians don't like AA or NA because the word God is so diluted. That's good for the rest of us. Not so much for them.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

"Faith Based" can mean different things, I think... It took on some political significance when George W. was in the white house... It was used to indicate community service done by churches... and such, I think, "religion based" would be a better phrase.

So, when we use that term here, when discussing AA, I would say no, it is not "Faith Based"... in that no particular faith, as in religion, is applicable.

AA is spiritually based, and for some, they do not see that as a difference... faith, religion, spirituality... all the same... I don't see that way, and neither do a lot of us AAs... Higher Power applies and that can be whatever concept or experience you have.

But make no mistake, AA is a spiritual program of recovery. "God" is used because it's one word, and easy to say. So, when I hear that word in AA... there is the implication that God is... "as you understand Him". Even if that understanding happens to be "Faith Based"... or not...

Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

I believe in the power of those 12 steps
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I believe in the power of those 12 steps
Yes indeed!