Notices

Drank for the first time in almost a year

Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I drank after 10 years. I didn't stop at 2 glasses of wine. I binged nightly for the next 7 years...literally descended into madness.
I see you used AVRT. Have you considered a reread/fine tuning?
Yep, I did use AVRT. Good suggestion. I guess I have proven I could use some maintenance!! I will definitely do a reread. Funny but it was so "easy" to be sober for me that I didn't think I needed it. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAA! Big mistake.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Choices :-)

I guess I had forgotten that I'm not just someone who chooses not to drink, I am an alcoholic "still".

Hello sober4metoday,

I am not sure that I understand your statement above.

How could you make a choice not to drink and then consciously make a choice to drink and then turn around and choose to be someone who chose to drink?

So are you saying that you made a choice almost a year ago to stop drinking and last night you chose to drink?

Does this mean that you are an alcoholic or just another person who makes choices without thinking about the consequences?

Why do we choose to so freely give our God given right of free will choice away instead of having some accountability for our choices.

I have found over the years that I need to be accountable for my choices before I can stop blaming or giving something outside of myself power over me.

So for me I have no one or no thing to blame for my choices.

Love

CS
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Have you read the RR book?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by ChooseSobriety View Post
I guess I had forgotten that I'm not just someone who chooses not to drink, I am an alcoholic "still".

Hello sober4metoday,

I am not sure that I understand your statement above.
I was mocking my own thinking (or should I say "rationale"). I'm not some "normal" minded individual who has decided they don't want to drink (and who can decide to drink at any point if they chose to and it'll be ok). I have a serious problem with alcohol and that is why I got sober. The drink almost ruined my life. Last night, I was foolish to believe that something had changed. Turns out I'm still the same old alcoholic that I've always been! And that's ok. I'm back to choosing to abstain. It was a good lesson and one I won't forget!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Have you read the RR book?
It's been a while but isn't RR and AVRT the same?? I don't know if I read specific RR material or not (browsing online). I have read The Art of AVRT though.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I would suggest reading the book Rational Recovery:The New Cure For Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey. Since you are familiar with AVRT, the book will go more in depth into identifying the AV than what's online. It can't hurt to refine your understanding. There are also 5 threads in the secular section...not sure if you've read those. There is some good info there as well, but no substitute for the book though.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks sober4metoday :-)

Hello again sober4metoday,

I have most definitely learned as have you have too it seems to laugh at my crazy choices/antics. I too had a serious problem with alcohol but only when I chose to drink it ;-)

I look back on my life since I had that moment of clarity/made a choice to stop drinking on 7/20/1997 and it has been quite a ride.

I find it absolutely empowering to others that you so humbly and with honor and humor to boot shared your night out.

It takes a lot of courage to walk the path of true change. It is most definitely not for the weak of heart.

I look forward to reading your future posts.

It was quite refreshing for me and I'm happy and excited that you made the choice that you did.

Love

CS
Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, sober4metoday.

I'm just over 9 months sober and have recently (since Christmas - found it quite tough) been having those 'am I really an alcoholic?' thoughts. There are times when I think 'one won't hurt' or 'why not?' so, although I am very sorry to hear that you drank last night, I am thankful that you posted this here to remind me that one will NEVER just be one and it's so not worth it.

Try not to feel guilty. Although you drank, it was very little and you understand now that you cannot do it again.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Sober4- thank you for your post!

It's a great reminder for us that "one glass rule" has no term of limitation.

Don't beat yourself too hard over these two glasses. You are back and sober)

Flyin2BFree - thank you for sharing your story.

My best wishes to you.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I will always be an addict and alcoholic, even in recovery, and I appreciate the reminder. Thanks for your post. You can get right back up and keep going.