Notices

The accommodation of our addictions

Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The accommodation of our addictions

The accommodation of our addictions is quite odd as society allows some but not others. Of course not everyone is an addict like me. And if you are reading this, most likely you too!

It struck me as I was walking into work that we set up a tent and picnic tables just for smokers. Of course they reek when they come back in the building and a non smoker can smell it a mile away. Or at least I can. No offense to the smokers. I believe they are "fags" to our UK friends.... Lol, but I digress....

Could you imagine if they had a bar in the cafeteria?

I remember the days I could be nonchalant about drinking. Casually hold a drink for longer than a minute. Socialize with ease without focusing on the next one....Or ten.

While I can relate to the addictive personality type I still read,every now and then, about an addiction that raises an eyebrow. Like wow that's got to be tough. I am a run-of-the-mill addict.

I take no pride in being able to drink a full bottle in a day. Or hold my crack smoke longer than the next guy. Or even sound sober so people cannot tell I am drunk. That's a skill set I leave off the job resume.

But on my résumé of life? My permanent record? It's listed at the top. Not for any other reason that it needs to be listed John Hancock style so I see it everyday and remember to pay attention.

I want a life worth living. So now I accommodate my sobriety instead of my addictions. That's been the trick these last few weeks.i work around my sobriety. If it conflicts with it then its not worth doing. Period.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I really like the last paragraph.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

If something came top before my sobriety then i imagine my drinking would wreck it or take it away ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ken :>)

your words are like poetry in motion...

You will get your life worth living and be helping others along your way I am convinced of that infact, I would even be brave enough to place a bet on it :>)

Valx
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Could you imagine if they had a bar in the cafeteria?
this was a flashback for me....I work in a very large teaching hospital/medical school/trauma center...

back in the "old days"....Friday afternoons were "Liver Rounds"...we had blenders and made margaritas in one of the conference rooms after work, it was social hour with the residents....

we used to drink wine at the baby showers we had during the afternoons at work.

back then we smoked in the building too.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Fandy .... That is crazy. First off I have a very strict rule at work. I never talk about personal things and absolutely never socialize. Work is work. That rule keeps my life easy and stress free from judgements and opinions I don't need.

If I ever drank at work I am sure I would have made an ass out of myself at some point. :/