Notices

hello

Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello

Hi. I'm not sure what to write, really. I recently made the decision to quit drinking. I've been wanting to for a while, but finally decided to take the plunge.

I'm on my third night, and it's nearly 2 am and I can't sleep. I've had a headache for three days straight, and I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin. I found this forum while searching for helpful tips in surviving this *super* fun detox process, and thought I would see what I can learn from you all.

I'm going to go poke around and figure out this site now. If anyone can help with this damn insomnia, I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome yogamama - you'll find a lot of support & encouragement here

All those things you mentioned sound pretty common to me, but always see a Dr if you feel unsure or worried about how you feel.

Read around and post as much as you like

D
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey yoga,

Welcome to the forums. You're gonna feel crappy. You've been abusing your body and now it doesn't know what is happening to it. Like Dee said if you feel the need to, go and see a doctor. The only things you can do in the meantime are eat healthily, get plenty of water and buy a pack of multivitamins with iron. They will help you out. And just remember to take it a day at a time.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome! you're getting through the hardest parts of detox right now...keep it up. when you come out the other side & don't have to worry about hangovers, where the car is today, when you can get away with it again, etc etc....it will be SO worth it
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks yeah, i really have had a rough last two days. i'm taking herbs and vitamins to help with the detox process and drinking a ton of water, but i'm just so RESTLESS. it's driving me nuts. i appreciate the welcome and the understanding.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

All I can say girl is I'm right there with you. Insomnia sucks but lack of sleep won't kill us we just have to hang in there. Eventually your body will begin to recover and as your brain chemistry levels out, you should start to sleep better. If not, see a doctor! And be as honest as you can be about your goal and your past with the drinking. I hope it gets easier for you.
sweet dreams
Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3 Here are some tips and tricks for beating insomnia.

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I would drink an awful lot of decaff green tea too. That helps flush you out quite a lot.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Give your body and brain a chance to heal. The insomnia should go away soon. Are you working a method of recovery to help you stay stopped?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

as of right now, my journey is a pretty private one. my fiance is a recovering alcoholic ~ he's been sober for two years. and i've talked to my best friend about it, and she is very supportive.

my family... not so much. they told me i was a hypochondriac when i said i thought my health issues were drinking related and that i just need to regulate my drinking (as if i hadn't already tried. sheesh).

i've been to a couple of AA meetings, back in the early days of my sweetheart's sobriety, but i have a lot of anxiety in social situations, am terrified of speaking in front of people, and am not a religious person (used to be - not really interested in revisiting that, but to each his own). i did not feel like AA was a good fit for me (also, i wasn't ready to realize my own issues at that point). my fiance does have the big book, and i'm thinking about reading it.

i came to this forum as a means of getting my foot in the door. i'm have a bad habit holding things in and not letting anyone know when i'm struggling (my best friend in the world had no idea i had a problem until yesterday), so any kind of conversation about recovery is a step in the right direction. i hope. haha
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there and try things that appeal to you a lot to keep yourself from not picking up the first drink or drug.