Notices

Wife still not talking to me...

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wife still not talking to me...

Home from work and my wife is asleep on the couch. This has become a regular thing since my blackout drunk on Sunday.

I was not an everyday blackout drunk because I had to hide it from her and my son. I was doing "really good" at keeping it to a few beers before she came home from work. I would stop a good while before she came home so I could come down from my buzz.

I knew sooner or later that I would drink until a blackout like I have so many times in the past, but I still kept on taking the chance.....

I miss talking with her after work....... I miss having her in bed with me.

At least I got a smile and a good night out of my son.....

Gall
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by gall1972 View Post
Home from work and my wife is asleep on the couch. This has become a regular thing since my blackout drunk on Sunday.

I was not an everyday blackout drunk because I had to hide it from her and my son. I was doing "really good" at keeping it to a few beers before she came home from work. I would stop a good while before she came home so I could come down from my buzz.

I knew sooner or later that I would drink until a blackout like I have so many times in the past, but I still kept on taking the chance.....

I miss talking with her after work....... I miss having her in bed with me.

At least I got a smile and a good night out of my son.....

Gall
Keep at it and stay strong, they will notice you are doing well if you prove it to them. At least you still live in the same house, it could be much worse!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Gall

A good friend of mine over in the Family and Friends section always used to say 'my alcoholic doesn't get to choose the timetable for my forgiving him'

I reckon all alcoholics leave carnage in their wake - I don't care how functional we are.

We don't have to trash the place or end up in a jail cell to leave carnage - sometimes it can be as subtle as us simply not 'being there' of a night.

That can get old really quickly for our loved ones - and it's a wound that may take a little time to heal.

I'm not saying that to beat you up - it's just a natural consequence of having a third partner (the bottle) in the relationship I think - it's inevitable sometimes we'll have let others down.

Give people time to process that, and to regain some trust when they see you've changed...really changed

D
Old 01-09-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

One day at a time. It sucks when we sober up and have to deal with the mess we've made. It killed me initially...but it does get better. Just hang in there matey
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

We don't get instant results. Imagine someone has been sitting there poking you with a stick for years and then all of a sudden decides they want you to give them a hug. That's how your wife is feeling. You will get results. You just have to be patient and put in the work.

Natom.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Gall.

My husband is the reason I found SR. Its hard for family, it does hurt sort of like getting poked with a stick everytime a relapse, or in this case a blackout happens. But my husband and I worked things out as he began recovery, healing, and I knew the stick was kindle..... Just stay your course and your family will notice.