Notices

Day 7 and back to AA feels good.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 and back to AA feels good.

Back to AA last night for a step meeting.
Step 3.Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood God.

I have already been through the 12 step program 4 years ago and made this decision and said the prayer. Would i have to do the whole program again ?

Im feeling really positive,sleeping better and thinking clearer.
Im ready to do this.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What does your sponsor think?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My sponsor thinks i should.......
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'd listen to him.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i know, i wiil have to go through it again. suppose this is just another example of me trying to run the show again by trying to look for a easier way..
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Look where it got you...Doing it right is the easier softer way.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Seems it didn't work the first time through those steps, why not go to honest and thorough lengths to stay stopped this time?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i was honest and thorough the first time but didnt continue taking inventory didnt enlarge my spiritual life and stopped helping others.
I reverted back to my old selfish ways the ego came back and so did the drink.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At least you know what the problem is....It's easier to fix something...When we know what we're fixing.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How long were you sober?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got to Step 3 after 100 days at one pint, but then relapsed. To cut a long story short I ended up with a new sponsor and was faced with a similar predicament- did I start from Step 1 again, or carry on where I left off?

I am no expert but I figured I needed to go right back to basics, and so I did. And I got even more out of the Steps I thought I had done!!!

I am currently working on my Step 4 but have a better insight into my faults and defects than I feel I ever did, with a sponsor who is amazing.

It is working well for me at the moment, and I hope whatever you choose works for you too Mavrick!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
How long were you sober?
I was sober for 12 months.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So you went back out for three years.....Let me ask you.....Was it better this time? I know three guys that went out in the last six months....One had 2 years....He's dead....The other had 2 years....He's still out there....And one had a year and a half and decided he was going to control it for the holidays....I guess the holidays are still going for him. I go to meetings...Work my program...Read my literature....And stay connected to the God of my understanding....Because I can't afford to do that.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
So you went back out for three years.....Let me ask you.....Was it better this time? I know three guys that went out in the last six months....One had 2 years....He's dead....The other had 2 years....He's still out there....And one had a year and a half and decided he was going to control it for the holidays....I guess the holidays are still going for him. I go to meetings...Work my program...Read my literature....And stay connected to the God of my understanding....Because I can't afford to do that.
Of course it wasnt " better this time", if it was then i wouldnt be back at AA meetings and posting on this forum. Unfortunatly i slipped and it was torture trying to get back to where i am today but ive got here and hopefully can get back on track with the 12 step program.
I know what i have to do, i have been shown the tools for my recovery and i am in full understanding of where i went wrong.
One day at a time i hope to stay sober because i dont think my mind and body could handle me going out again.
So if i keep going to meetings.... Go through the program again.... Read my literature.. And stay connected to my higher power.... Then maybe im in with a chance.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would recommend setting aside what you think you know from your first time through the 12 steps. Go into it with an open mind and have a new experience.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, my first trip through the steps took under 9 months. I went to meetings everyday, did some volunteering and read a lot about alcoholism and addiction. While AA was my mainstay, I used this forum to keep on track, and read as much as I could from outside AA as well. 2 years sober now, I still remind myself where I was, where I was going, and of where I might be now without recovery.

In my opinion, it's more important to go through the steps quickly at first so you know what it's about first time around. In the earliest days, all 12 steps were taken in days not years.

But there's another sage cliche that is important too, "What keeps me sober, could drive another to drink!"

All the best to you. You can do it, and it gets easier.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mavrick View Post
i was honest and thorough the first time but didnt continue taking inventory didnt enlarge my spiritual life and stopped helping others.
I reverted back to my old selfish ways the ego came back and so did the drink.
me too! after 11 years. I was still chairing meeting and had a 2 sponsees, but it was all about me. People with time don;t like to hear it, but it's true! It's easy to shoot out the top!

I'm back. glad to read this thread.

We can make it again! And BTW- the 11 years were good. I did not lose any of them, I raised kids and all. Don't let that loss of time being a heavy stone in your bag.

Unfortunately, my resentment (unfounded) at AA for not working, was sooo powerful, I was out another almost 5 years. THOSE YEARS WERE A MAJOR LOSS!

Let's dop this thing!!!

this place is firing me up!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you're back among us Mavrick, instead of out there where the struggles are tough ones.

Sounds like you're on the right track and using what's available. I'm in agreement with your sponsor that reviewing the steps and possibly doing them in a more effective manner than before is indicated. Whenever I work with someone who drank again we dig into this process far deeper than the superficial levels they were happy with the first time around that didn't work out so well for them.

Thinking of 2 guys who drank at the 7 year hump, both are about 20 now so coming back can mean getting it right this time around, instead of settling for not good enough again.

If someone tries to build a house but pounds the nails in backwards he may indeed have built a shoddy house, but that doesn't mean the next one can't benefit from correcting that which was improperly done earlier.