Notices

For all of you who just quit drinking

Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For all of you who just quit drinking

To those of you who are in your first few days of detox , I want you to know that it is absolutely true that you are going to feel 100% better. When I first quit I never thought I would survive it. I felt like crap for 6 weeks. People here would tell me ,"It gets better stick with it" . I remember thinking," maybe for you". I thought I was permanently damaged. I just want to say that even though you are down now you truly will rise again. Thank you SoberRecovery.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I second that notion!!! It does not get better in a day but it does get better slowly but surely. Then one day you realize things are pretty darn good. Do not give up before the miricale happens
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Thirds. I often remember how annoying it was to hear people say this to me when I was withdrawing but it's true.

Natom.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree Escapist, it is amazing how your body and mind start to change!!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread- I kinda need it at this point.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so looking forward to the other side because day 3 is tuff!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Day 3 was the worst-memorably so. The pits. Just take a lot of naps to get through it

I agree, each month it gets better. It easily took 2-3 months to get back to normal sleep, and start to feel energized again but it does happen. Not as long to feel better in general, and physical changes for the good happen pretty quick. Hang in there everyone!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My first week was a haze in Detox as they had me coming down with the help of neurotin and Ativan. Second week was better with diet, hydrationa and excercise. It wasn't until the third week where it got worse for me. I had excrutiating headaches and there were times when I was completely confused for no reason. I would have conversations and then out of nowhere I would just lose my thoughts. I was ridiculously emotional which is odd for me as I'm a former Marine, but my emotions were all over the place.

Eventually my Doctor said that I was suffering from Acute Withdrawl Syndrome. Many alcoholics who have abused their bodies for years suffer within the first month of this and it can last up to 6 months. It's important to know that eventually you get your bearings back and do recover but it can be scary those first few weeks.

I've relapsed and am trying to get on my journey. I'm at 5 days now and feel better. I don't expect much withdrawl issues because I didn't continously abuse this time around but regardless even sporatic relapses has it's consequences.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
To those of you who are in your first few days of detox , I want you to know that it is absolutely true that you are going to feel 100% better. When I first quit I never thought I would survive it. I felt like crap for 6 weeks. People here would tell me ,"It gets better stick with it" . I remember thinking," maybe for you". I thought I was permanently damaged. I just want to say that even though you are down now you truly will rise again. Thank you SoberRecovery.
I wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything. It has absolutely gotten better beyond what my imagination could conjure and am grateful beyond measure for what has returned... but there are those of us who have been permanently damaged - just a reality check that the wreckage of our pasts is not always 100% repairable. Just grateful I'm clean and sober enough to appreciate the 90% that has been repaired.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Huh?

I feel like every bout of sleep I get makes me feel even more positive.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fifth!

Day 39 today and am still getting low moments but right now I've got getting my trainers on and doing the run I've just planned out at the front of my mind, getting in the car and getting some booze in ain't there at all (except it is now cos I've just thought about it) bugger... Now I'll have to get the trainers on to take my mind off it... Sneaky AV...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HereIAm321 View Post
I feel like every bout of sleep I get makes me feel even more positive.
I remember feeling the same way. What am I saying? I still feel that way!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

It's been just under one month for me and I do feel fantastic already. I seem to have all this time to do things that I never used to have to time to do because it cut into my drinking. I am VERY happy to be sober and grateful for AA and everyone who supports me including everyone here on soberrecovery.com.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So true! I felt like crap for the first 2 months but after getting through it I feel so much better and healthier than I remember feeling probably since I was a kid. Eventhough I do have some health issues due to my drinking, I am seeking medical care and so grateful to be sober and taking care of things before it was too late. I have a renewed vigor and appreciation for everything. Hang in there..it gets soooooooooooooo much better!