Notices

Quitting in your 20s??

Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I started going to AA in my 20's and put together some sober time and I have to say it was a blast when I found other young people in the program and started rolling with the ones who really had solid recovery! We did marathons, sit-ins, parties, went to sports events, plays and movies, many dinners and coffee meet-ups and hockey games and whatever else you can think of! Interesting to note that a few times my "old" drinking buddies still came around and we tried to hang out (me sober but with them at our old clubs and places) and it was pretty amazing how BORING they turned out to be compared to the sober friends. I'm not even kidding. I drove home from a birthday party laughing once because I realized I wasn't missing ANYTHING with those guys. And they are all now in early 30's still acting like drunk teenage idiots, mostly, while I have a real life and do things with my time that I am PROUD of.

Do I still get that feeling like I'm missing the wild ways I once cherished? Yes I do, but only for a few brief seconds here and there. Then I "play the video to the end" as they say and remember where all that got me; wrecked cars, bruises and cuts, loss of jobs, suicide attempts, broken relationships, terrible health, holidays spent crying alone or drunk with strangers, no money, failing school, living in total fear every morning as I woke up.... I could go on forever. It wasn't worth it was it?

I don't think so and I'm glad I've finally started to get this thing and I just turned 30. I feel blessed. You are too.