Notices

Accept the things you cannot change

Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accept the things you cannot change

That is so much easier said than done!! As i lay here in bed.. Trying to clear my head i cant help but to think back on people i have hurt because of my drinking and how embarssing my life was and wat some people may think of me from my actions. I am trying to focus on my recovery and how better my life will be once i continue on this path. Granted im only on day 2.. But i guess this is normal... Ur mind kind of has to catch up with all the crazy things alchool has caused you to do in the past 8 years of using frankly everyday * pulls covers over head and sighs*
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

eventually those experiences will be put to good use, C2C, if you stay with it. you can share the embarrassing stories with a newb & help them to not feel so alone.

as for now, just keep the plug in the jug so you don't have to pile up any more of those stories!

welcome.....
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love the serenity prayer..you can't change things in the past, it's out of your control.. Have courage to change things you can, and have wisdom to know the difference... Very powerful to me!!

Don't beat yourself up! Make a change.. One thing about this journey, it's your deal, no one else's.. You're in charge.. Lots of folks pulling for you, including me., wishing you the best!

D
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

My sponsor gave me a coin some 10 years back. I can't change the wind but, I can adjust my sails !!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Alcohol did help me run away from all my problems, except those caused by alcohol. You are breaking that circular illogic. Keep going, you can't bring the past forward and make it the future, only today.

If you keep going over the past you won't get over it.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

you aren't alone.

you also aren't a bad person getting good, you're a sick person getting well.

cut yourself some slack, you're doing what you can not to repeat anything today!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have definitely said and done things in my past that I never would have done sober. I cringe at some of my college memories (or lack of memory), as well as living in NYC during my twenties.

I think the person I hurt most from alcohol from 30-41 was me. It also affected my kids and husband. I can't change any of those things, but I can make positive choices for me, which will benefit my family and friends.

I still have days when I think back and dwell on things, but it won't change what happened. Let the past go, and focus on now.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

None comes into this recovery things with all the answers

Cut yourself some slack and give yourself some time...with a little effort and a patience you'll start to turn your life around, and find you yourself are changing and growing too.

A couple of months down the track you're likely to have a different perspective on this.

I'd focus on the not drinking for now...the fixing and the amends can wait a little while longer Commited2Change

D
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post ... I really needed this one!

Thanks!

Gall

Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My past is a disaster but it does help keep me sober. I am embarrassed by some of the things I did but that person was not me. That was the egotistical, selfish, lying jerk who only cared about getting drunk. That is not who I am today and that is not who you are today. You have made a wonderful decision. There will be time to reflect on the past but right now just focus on this loving, caring person you are going to become. Only one thing can bring back the ugly C2C and you know what that is!!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You have to let the wreckage of your past burn for a bit. Just a little bit. You have to see it, you have to feel it. Once you've done that you can work through it. Hose it down, have a look through it and then begin to clear it up.

Natom.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Familyman2153 wow thank you for that. Im gonna reread that all day today.