Notices

Slipping down the wrong trail (Ski related!!!)

Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Slipping down the wrong trail (Ski related!!!)

Today my husband and I went skiing, I haven't skied in about twelve years, but figured just like riding a bike. All was going well until we were halfway down a trail that was green and blue and they closed the second half of the trail leaving only a black diamond. I was already pushing my luck with the blue.

Figured I had three options: cry, call ski patrol, or figure a way down. Figuring the first two were not going to work decided to take off the skis and slide on my #$$ the remainder if the mountain. Nothing like having kids come flying by me on their skis and snowboards as I ventured down. So I guess just like everything else in life some days are just a pain in the...

What I wish I looked like!!!

. What I actually looked like!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
LDT

I had the almost identical experience.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had to laugh, I am sure many that flew by me had a good chuckle as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not smiling at the thought...

*honest*

oh ok then glad you're ok!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hahaha I remember years ago when I was in my 20s a friend took me on my first snowboarding trip. Well... I wasn't a very good snowboarder to say the least hahaha. I went up the mountain to the top of a 2mile green hill run. Figured that's the best place to start. Well... It took me close to 4 hours to get down that sob! Hahaha. My friend would lap me a few times poking fun at me falling on my face etc. One of times he lapped me he decided to take a very nice photo op of this experience. He snapped a shot of me sprawled out in the middle of the slope. Google half way off my face, missing a glove, legs all cockeyed.. Lol well I didn't know he took that picture until later... I how I found out about it is when I went into work the next day. I walk back into the break area, and see my Co workers giggling as I make my way back there. I enter the break room to see a blown up poster sized picture of me that he took... Haha haha

Thanks for your story. It reminded me my experience lol

-Ryan
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just got a visual...giggle
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think my new purpose will be to keep my SR family amused, perhaps I will become the official SR jester. We all need to laugh daily!!!

Ryan, I am petrified I am going to end up on someone's you tube video, there were numerous people skiing with cameras strapped to their heads!!! I am glad I could bring back memories for you.

Lola, wish I had an actual picture to send you, I am sure you can visualize it though.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LDT

Oh good Lord....Ryan, you reminded me.....

My experience was that my best friend took me snow skiing for the first time for my 40th birthday. Imdo not think people should ski for the first time when they are 40..... no matter how fit one is. After skiing all day in " ski school" she took me to the top of the longest green run on the mountain. My legs were already jello from skiing all day, so I questioned the wisdom of this. She just kept saying " you were the best in ski school. You are ready. TRUST ME"...... and it was the most terrifying experience of my life ( My sky diving experience was a cake walk compared to this)... So my "former" best friend Videos the whole thing. She was in front of me, skiing backwards with a video camera....when I realized this I just started screaming at her to get the $z$$&@# camera out of my face and get the $$&*## out of my way, and to never speak to me again.... ski patrol rode up at that moment and asked if there was a problem. I screamed " YES"!! So I rode the rest of the way down with him. My former best friend met me at the bottom and we did not speak all the way home..... p.s. I have since skiied down that exact slope a number of times with ease! ... Still, I will never forget......
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Loved this posting. If you can not laugh at yourself, the world would be a sad place. Thank all of you for sharing.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If we don't all have a great story like that, we never went skiing

That is ABSOLUTELY fantastic that you went skiing with your husband. We can do anything we want to, except drink or drug... and to do those things with our loved ones, is priceless.

We have a group of guys from my home group that try to go skiing regularly, about 6 or 7 of us... we are all at different points along the learning curve, of skiing, and of recovery... we have a freakin' blast... and more than once we've had a pretty extensive "yard sale"... LOL.

Thanx for sharing.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so glad that I am in great company!!

LDT if my husband decided to whip out his phone I may have locked him out of our cabin last night! I look great in all of our pictures because I mad him take them at various places throughout the mountain where I stopped, and managed to look like I was a ski bunny.

Mark, that sounds like fun, nd I agree about the stories. The first time I ever skiied was in Vermont t in my twenties. I attempted to stop with my ski poles mid mountain, ended up with a blac eye from hitting into one.

Yesterday was a blast, minus the butt slide!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Like recovery, swallowing our pride is better than being dead
Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LDT

You are so right, MIRecovery...that's exactly why I rode the rest of the way down with ski patrol..... the fact that he looked like Michael McDonald had nothing to do with it
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mark, you need to tell everyone what a yard sale is!! Funny stuff!!

This seems to happen to me every year! Last time I got stuck on a 65 degree run in the trees with bumps.. I was so mad!! Cussing my brother.. Saying out loud, this isn't fun.. People would stop and ask if I was alright.. Embarrassing!! Glad you got out, we need snow bad in northern CO.. Funny talking about it now but I get so mad when it happens!!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

A Yard Sale...

LOL...

Dave... I will be out your way in March with my ski buddies... Get some snow ready for me out there, OK??

Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mark, that's classic!!

I'm glad your coming in March, good call! We get our best snow in Feb and March, conditions will great by then!! We're really behind the ball so far.. Snow pack is about 30% currently.. However down in the San Juan's South Western part of the state they're getting pounded.. Telluride, Wolf Creek, Durango area..
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post
Mark, you need to tell everyone what a yard sale is!! Funny stuff!!

This seems to happen to me every year! Last time I got stuck on a 65 degree run in the trees with bumps.. I was so mad!! Cussing my brother.. Saying out loud, this isn't fun.. People would stop and ask if I was alright.. Embarrassing!! Glad you got out, we need snow bad in northern CO.. Funny talking about it now but I get so mad when it happens!!
Sounds like my day yesterday, and it is quite comical now!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
A Yard Sale...

LOL...

Dave... I will be out your way in March with my ski buddies... Get some snow ready for me out there, OK??

I LOVE this picture!!!! I think it should be your avatar.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Telluride... yep... Went there for the first time last year and going again this year... I love the San Juan Mountains... Was there last summer too, with my wife, there is some great fishing, hiking and biking there as well...

Delilah... after last Sunday, on some new skis that I am not used to yet... that picture should, in fact, be my avatar... but in my head... I look like this...

Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I looked like that yesterday if he took his skis off and held them on his lap as he slid down the mountain. Of course he would need to be digging in with his ski boots as well for fear of going to fast, and possibly going over the edge!

I say make him your avatar and kick butt on those new skis!!!!