Notices

Fun again

Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fun again

Good Morning Everybody!
I am getting close to my 3 months. I am actually having fun again. The last four years of stumbling around drunk have not been fun. Weird because so many of us drink to have a good time. What a ripoff that is.
I was looking at purses this morning. I love handbags like a lot of women . Oh my God I am being NORMAL. A pink leather bag called to me. I asked myself ,"What will it go with?" The answer came immediately. " My Attitude" So I bought it. I am getting back to my old somewhat eccentric self again.

And it gets better. I have an old friend. We have been friends for 14 years. She was my kids school teacher. She is having some problems and I am helping. I have something to offer again.

I love being happy. How did I get so lost? Oh yeah, I am an alcoholic that's how.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's funny how many alcoholics are afraid to quit drinking because they think they'll never have fun again. Ugh, like living like that is fun! It's insane.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The cool thing is it just keeps getting better. Not all days are good but the good days far out weigh the bad.

One thing I have heard over and over is that, "Happiness is an inside job."
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this. I can't wait for life to return to my veins. The joy in the little things, ya know? Love it
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I have been feeling the same way lately, minus the purse-buying episode. It is really nice to feel good. Let's keep it up.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

It is really cool when you have these flashes of "my old self is back". Parts that you thought were gone or buried resurface and you remember what the real you is like. Good stuff! Love the purse goes with the attitude comment too
Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
It's funny how many alcoholics are afraid to quit drinking because they think they'll never have fun again. Ugh, like living like that is fun! It's insane.
So true. I'm a huge sports fan and so much entertainment related to sports was drinking. Whether it was attending a game, watching it at a bar or even drinking a few after a pickup game, it was almost impossible that I'd ever have fun again without drinking.

What a ridiculous notion that only alcohol can bring enjoyment. Although I've been struggling after two long stints of sobriety the most enjoyable times I've had were recently when I was sober.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
so awesome, escapist!! Shoes are how I wear my attitude. Today I have on a pair of black and white polka dotted slingbacks with a red patent leather 5 inch heel.
"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world." (Marilyn )
I am so happy for you...rock that pink bag!!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ohhh, I loved this post. I am two months out and I feel so well, happy and just busting out of my skin with mischief and energy.
Get that purse. Get those shoes. If doing so won't cause a buying frenzy which would be another issue.
I buy good yarns and good fabrics. I knit scarves and caps, I make quilts.
These caps are for chemo patients. Stretchy fleece.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
So true. I'm a huge sports fan and so much entertainment related to sports was drinking. Whether it was attending a game, watching it at a bar or even drinking a few after a pickup game, it was almost impossible that I'd ever have fun again without drinking.
Thank you for this. I'm a big sports fan, and now trying to come to grips with enjoying sports without the drinking. Looking back, all of my sports watching revolved around alcohol. Now I have to break that habit!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
lattelady I love the caps! what a wonderful way to give back....
Old 01-08-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can a withered flower bloom again? YES !!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Escapist!! I love love love this post!!! Congrats on your almost 90 days!!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much for your inspiring message, every sober day I see the roses blooming in my cheeks again.
I bought a new lipstick today, for once it won't be my eyes that are red
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wonderful post Escapist
Great job! Im very happy for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Weird- I was sitting on my patio today really feeling good about life and feeling good just to feel good! It was an awesome feeling- to feel like myself, comfortable in my own skin and best of all sober! Great post- thank you!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Love the posts and positivity! I've noticed being much more present in my conversations with friends. Its made me feel like a better friend.
Its funny. I didn't know my old self was missing. The longer I go without a drink the more I see I was really missing out on.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Having coffee with my neice today I realised how difficult even holding a conversation prior to stopping had been.
I didn't lose my train of thought during the convo, forget to include sections of a story, misunderstand what I was being told...
Speaking with me before was like wading through treacle! haha.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Escapist - I'm just nodding and grinning - I loved your post and all the responses, too! It's so true (like I'vegotsunshine just said) that we don't know our old/real selves are missing until we get them back.

Just looking up in the sky and appreciating how blue it is, taking a minor mishap in stride, or (yikes) being able to laugh at myself........ no way when I was drinking! Yay for you, girl - pink is a GREAT color!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I had a guy at an AA meeting a few months ago sum it up pretty much to the point.

At first, drinking was fun. A little later on, drinking was fun with some occasional trouble. At the end of my drinking, all drinking did for me was cause me trouble. I can relate to this. I didn't always get into trouble every time I drank but, every time in my life I had gotten into any trouble, drinking and drugs was a contributing factor in it