Notices

Fags and booze; the double quit?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I really felt like I had no choice but to quit both at the same time. I have given up smoking but still drank but I had never drank and not smoked. To be honest I thought it made it easier, I didn't know which one was bothering me the most. I used nicotine replacement for the first few weeks, even though I'm an Allen Carr fan. I was just trying to make things easy on myself. There are loads of options out there now, Champix, NRT, ecigs... I say go for it, it is definitely doable x
Almost same story here and used NRT patches for 6 weeks and Allen Carr. Have had some tough weeks with emotions and anxiety before and over Xmas, but have never regretted stopping both at the same time.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
I gave everything up 13 years ago all at once (amphetamines, pot, drinking, smoking)....it was tough but it did take care of everything with one foul swoop. This time I don't smoke but staggered giving up opiates, then benzos then alcohol and it's been just as hard. If not harder.

Good luck, you can do it.
MLC,

Whaaaa!? I did not think we allowed computers on this forum! That's right, you must have circuitry the rest of us humans don't.....No Fair!!LOL
Old 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I quit both 33 days ago,cold turkey....So far so good....Booze cravings come and go,sometimes they are real bad....Cigarette cravings ain't so bad....I originally quit both 6 months ago but have fell off the wagon three times so you have always gotta be on guard...I find drinking lots of water and eating plenty of fruit is good for me,but I also like to munch on lots of chocolate and ice cream too,gotta be better than fags and booze.....
Nice one Stevie, (I hail from sunny Stourbridge myself!!) - feels good to be free of the booze and the cigs doesn't it? I'm loving it.

All the best

PD
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Lol. No, not at all. I was in and out of rehab and the NA rooms for ages. I was only able to quit because I was pregnant . Relapsed on pot and alcohol after a couple of years. Got sober again for many years and now here I am struggling to live without drugs/alcohol again.

I do think that smoking (cigarettes) for me went hand in hand with drugs/drinking though.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sober almost 2 years, gave up smokes 9 months ago, have been using e-cigs since.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProblemDrinker View Post
Hi there! It was a co-incidence that you mentioned Allen Carr right before I posted..his books really hit the nail on the head.

I have a theory about who his process works on...are you a logical thinker who is good with numbers by any chance?
I find that as I get older I think more and more logically. I'm not so good with numbers though, if were are talking about mathematical skills.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My smoking and drinking have a tight connection.

Haven't quit smoking yet, but I'm 3ish months sober. I don't want to quit smoking b/c I personally don't want to risk anything right now with my new found sobriety. Idk things are going well right now and im just gonna get some more months under my belt, then tackle the nicotine.

Just glad I can function now.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Smoking and drinking went hand in hand for me. There is lots of scientific based evidence showing better long term recovery sucess when quitting drinking and smoking at the same time. It is the new model being applied to most in patient recovery programs these days as well. There are still some "old timers" who might try talking one out of co quitting but the reality is that cigarettes are a deadly drug for many of us and they cause me to feel like I want to drink. So i stay far away from the smokes and the booze.