Notices

Well, here it goes

Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, here it goes

Hey guys, I stumbled upon this forum after researching both the physical and mental benefits of being sober. I've wanted to for some time now and I think I'm finally ready. I've been pretty much drinking endlessly since I was 18, and now being 21 I'm feeling the effects. It's not pretty and I'm scaring myself. I've been drinking a pint of vodka every night for years and more on the weekends. Pretty sure I got alcohol poisoning on new years because I could not stop puking for over 24 hours straight. I hate my reputation and even my fellow college classmates are blown away by my drinking. I'm just ready to feel better and see if anyone out there can relate. So, with that being said, I'm open to any and all suggestions or comments anyone has. I'm determined to make this thread a success story.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found lasting sobriety, sanity and serenity in Alcoholics Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome to SR, Takin8ez, glad you found us. I drank daily for 30 years, but I didn't get really good at it until I was in my 40s. What followed was a slow crawl into some deep depression, anxiety, self loathing and shame.

I have plenty of regrets about my drinking, but I have none about getting sober except that I wish I had done it earlier, a lot earlier. You can make the choice to not drink and make it for real. You deserve a much better life than one viewed through the bottom of bigger and bigger bottles of cheaper and cheaper booze. Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Takin8ez, Welcome to SR. As a fellow college student (im 20) I feel I can really relate to your situation here. Glad like me you have seen sense. 3 days sober here, it's not easy, but it's nice not having that horrible feeling in the morning.

Stay strong and good luck, you can do it
Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Welcome to SR, Takin8ez, glad you found us. I drank daily for 30 years, but I didn't get really good at it until I was in my 40s. What followed was a slow crawl into some deep depression, anxiety, self loathing and shame.

I have plenty of regrets about my drinking, but I have none about getting sober except that I wish I had done it earlier, a lot earlier. You can make the choice to not drink and make it for real. You deserve a much better life than one viewed through the bottom of bigger and bigger bottles of cheaper and cheaper booze. Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Thanks for the reply, I figured I'd nip it in the bud right now before it gets any harder(not that I can imagine it could), but the plan is pretty much take it a day at a time and think about all the positives. I've already decided against AA. I don't really see the point when I get get support from nice folks on a forum such as this. Perhaps I'd like to think I can do it on my own.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grindilow View Post
Takin8ez, Welcome to SR. As a fellow college student (im 20) I feel I can really relate to your situation here. Glad like me you have seen sense. 3 days sober here, it's not easy, but it's nice not having that horrible feeling in the morning.

Stay strong and good luck, you can do it
Thanks buddy. I can't wait to start feeling all the positives such as a whole lot more cash in my wallet, not walking around in a daze, so on and so forth. I'd like to think its only hard if you make it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! :ghug3 Good that you're quitting so young. I wish I'd quit drinking when I was your age...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
You deserve a much better life than one viewed through the bottom of bigger and bigger bottles of cheaper and cheaper booze.
This is going to be one of my new affirmations!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you stopped by. It's not easy but its definitely worth it. Keep coming back.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Takin8ez -

You're making a great decision for yourself - congrats on that! This place helped me turn my life around and as hard as it was at first, I'm so glad I did!

Be careful with detox - I'd recommend seeing a doc on campus if you can.