Notices

need help getting through day one

Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need help getting through day one

Any advice? My day to day routine cannot change because I am a single mom. Help!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Swm, need help getting through day one? You are FANTASTIC. You can do it!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You made a great start by posting here. You will get lots of advice and support.

Here's what helped me (and I've had a LOT of day 1s): be good to myself by drinking lots of water or herbal teas, eating healthy food and if I'm not feeling to crummy, some exercise. And try to get a good night sleep. And if feeling overwhelmed by all the stuff on my plate (which is where I was today), just focus on what needs to get done today. And if you're fighting an urge, check out the chatroom for instant help! Sometimes just distracting yourself can help you through a craving.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You have to start somewhere, and you landed in a great place. SR is here 24/7 with wonderful people. Just stick to your day to day routine and subtract the drinking and you'll see some amazing results if you stick to it.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the best decision you've ever made!!! I've got 7 days now and I didn't think I could even do one. One thing I do is play the tape. I picture myself going through all the steps I go through every time I drink and it always ends with feeling like crap and being full of guilt for giving in. It gets easier swm I promise. You gain strength everyday. I also don't try to think in too big of a picture cause it just overwhelms me. All I do is tell myself I don't have to drink today. It's a really empowering feeling once you know it's true. Good luck and god bless you you're doing the right thing
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR swm8458

I spent a lot of time on these boards in the early days - read around and post as much as you like. There's a ton of support here. It really helps

D
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep posting here, it helps!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you now swm? I always find going to bed when my youngest does a great help, even if it's 6.30pm sometimes! I like to read a lot too to take my mind off things. Ride those cravings through then sleep as much as possible! Read and post here too of course
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep logging on - it's such a relief to know others are in your same position. For me, SR makes me realize I am not all that unique or special in my struggles and that it's just something to be gotten through. Eventually (I hear ) it get's easier and the struggle morphs into an opportunity to reshape your life
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome swm -

The first day is tough, no doubt about it. There were times I went from minute to minute. Reading here helped me enormously.

I'm a single mom, too. I don't know how old your kids are, but when mine were small and I was sick or had a migraine, it was hard to find the time just to rest. I didn't have family around, so I mainly relied on snack food and DVD's, lol...

The truth is that once you get through the first couple days, it will easier to deal with everything. Alcohol creates depression and anxiety. I found that I became a much calmer, more positive person once I put the drink aside.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm nearing the end of day three, day one and two were horrific! I felt sick which later turned to sweating, I felt depressed even though I'm not depressed it was just the alcohol depression that comes after a heavy binge, I got to say now say three is here I'm feeling a lot better and it is gradually getting easier the more days that go by. I hope you find the support on here as I did on day one and two, you are doing a fantastic thing by stopping alcohol completely and the trying times to start with are all worth the end result trust me
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oh I hope that I am ok to use this site bc I have an opiate problem, not a drinking problem. Today was hard and the withdrawal effects were so bad and I was vomiting at work and driving in my car. I guess I havefailed.already bc I took two pills to minimize the symptoms I would like to think that doing an opiate sobriety will be more effective if I gradually get off them rather than cold turkey....? thoughts???? I just know that cold.turkey for me will mean the necessity of detox, not working, and needing help with the kids while I recover.... I can't do cold turkey from home. and I can't.send my kids away and lose my career to go to a treatment. I feel like my only option is to gradually decrease what I am taking each day, until I am down to zero. any idea? this is not how I want to do this
Old 01-08-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you all for your support. it means so much to me!!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Something I noticed in the past couple years is that even in a small town like mine, there are doctors who specialize in addiction. Can you find someone in your area to go to and maybe help you with a plan? Some rehabs offer short term detox, too, so you might want to look into that (esp. if you have insurance where you work).... They can't let you go because of a medical problem, by the way....

And no, it doesn't matter what substance/drug we're addicted to around here - no worries about that.... We do have a forum specially for substance abuse though, so you might want to look over there, too.