Notices

How do you deal with drunk guests?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

How do you deal with drunk guests?

I have been sober for almost 6 months now. 1 of my long time friends has come to my house twice in the past month so drunk that he had to go outside to throw up!

The last time, he came back into the house and proceeded to pass out on my couch for 2 hrs. His breath was so disgusting and I had to leave the room. After an hr, I woke him up and told him to go home and he just passed out again. After I told him I was going to call his wife, He woke up real fast!

As he was leaving, I told him not to come over drunk again!

How would you handle a situation like that?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think I'd stick to my guns and not allow him in the house. Maybe you need to make the rules clear when he's sober. Might not remember too much being that intoxed.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I told him not to come over drunk again!
I think thats a good boundary to have Hope4 - my friends know I don't drink, and they respect my wishes that my house remains an alcohol and drug free zone.

D
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Next time when your friend comes over drunk, let him sleep and go call his wife to pick him up. If you don't let you're friend in then you're letting him drive drunk. After that next time he will not come over you're place because he will know that you will call his wife. :-)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I have zero patience now and they know it. Especially when they think they are being SO funny. You did right. You have to be firm. Your home, your rules.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on dealing with that Hope4Life. I think it's just a matter of boundaries. I'm not too good with this one though because I feel like I am being preachy if I won't tolerate drunk people. But to everyone else it's all a laugh and a joke, I just don't find it funny anymore.

I have had a slight problem with a friend drunk dialling me. Now this is something I can't really relate to as I never did it, but an ex used to do it all the time and in the end I broke contact completely. He seemed pretty shocked so I don't think he remembered the stuff he was saying. My friend isn't an alcoholic but does go out a lot. One time he phoned me because he wanted someone to talk to him because he was worried he'd pass out before he got to his apartment. When I text him the next day to see if he was okay he responded like I was over reacting. I had a few stern words (It was like 3 in the morning and I had work the next day) but it didn't seem to make much difference. He's done it a a few times since but it was so late and he wasn't so drunk... but if it keeps up I will just stop answering the phone to him.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not Alone

No-one really comes into my house drunk anymore. I severed all the ties. I once had an ex girlfriend and her new boyfriend turn up and start drinking wine at my house after I had re-met her in a treatment program. Told them to get out when they offered me a glass.

Natom.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow! I hope his wife picked him up and he didn't drive that wasted. Sounds like not so much of a fun evening.

I totally steer clear of people when they're wasted. I don't go there. They may not remember it anyway, so what's the use? I've made exceptions for phone conversations with family members. They don't live near me, so I'm not sure what I would do if they came over my apartment puking drunk. I suppose I would let them in, but I wouldn't let them drive. No way!

The guy in the front of the house where I live blew chunks twice in one evening. Once in the front yard and once in the back yard. Gross. The thing is I could hear it coming based on his consumption. Ugh!

I don't know what to say. This housemate is not a friend. In the case of a friend, whether or not to turn him down in his hour of need is quite the conundrum. But at a bare minimum, take his car keys away from him.

Last edited by renaldo; 01-07-2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: improper grammar
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess you've got to set the rules to your new life and make people understand, which means when they are sober. As the AA say sobriety is the most important thing to you.
Though a view of how things might have been is a bit Charles Dickens I guess you've moved on. Could that have been you only a year ago ! Congratulations . Oh and try not to be too appalled they might be wanting help.
John.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Thanks for your responses

This 'friend' has a VERY volatile wife and if I had called her, he would probably be separated and headed to divorce court. At the very least, she would have attacked him physically when they got home. She beat him up a couple times before, once for snoring while she was trying to watch TV in bed! They have a 13 yr old daughter that does not need to see behavior like that.

He told me he had a couple glasses of wine before he came over, so after he slept it off for a couple hours I doubt he was still legally drunk. I have told this guy to call me before he just shows up and he never does, so that is another rule I am going to make very clear to him.

I am very confident in my sobriety now and it doesnt bother if someone wants to have a couple beers while they visit but puking and passing will not be tolerated.

I appreciate everyone's opinion.