Notices

Why even go to bed?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why even go to bed?

I know i'll only sleep for three or four hours at the most.. have to get up at seven thirty, so i guess i've got some time... hmm, i like sobriety but it has it's challenges
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that even when I couldn't sleep the simple act of lying down and closing my eyes or - if that would drive you mad - reading a book, left me more rested than simply not going to bed.

Hope you get through the sleep upheaval soon Dan

D
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

right there with you, not a wink last night.... nothing yet tonight and its been like this since i quit, i hate it
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Unfortunately it takes time for the body to reset. Not that this will happen to you, but I went a long while (weeks) without sleeping when I first stopped...Just gotta bear with it and like Dee said, it's good to make use of your time at least. I know that zombie-like feeling all too well.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks guys, i just want to say i'm alive and awake for some reason.. it's been a ride back from convulsing, weird thoughts, night sweats.. ehh
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I had sleeping problems in the beginning also. This quite common. It does get better over time. Now I sometimes can't get enough sleep lol.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hear you, Dan. Fear of sleepless nights probably was one of my biggest excuses to postpone quitting. The addict in me seized on that excuse. But eventually I realized it was a small price to pay. I'm in better shape after a sleepless night than I would be hungover. And even if I feel like crap, I don't feel like crap about myself, and that's what really matters.

Besides, like the others said, you acclimate. Now most nights I sleep a million times better than I ever did while drinking. Like LadyinBC just said, I now look forward to it. You're doing great—you'll get there!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yea, now that you mention it, i remember logging some ten hour sleep sessions after sobering up, then a week no sleep, then tons of sleep.. for now i get thirty or forty minutes at a time, or maybe i sleep and don't even know it sometime.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, here I am in the UK it's after 4am and prob won't sleep till 6-7....
It's worth it
Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear you Dan...on weekends I tend to sleep during the day because I can't sleep at night. This makes the work week difficult but being tired still better than being hungover. Tonight I can't sleep because I have court in the morning for my DUI. I look forward to the day I can rest my head with only trivial worries. Hang in there..the longer we are sober the easier it should get
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
I hear you Dan...on weekends I tend to sleep during the day because I can't sleep at night. This makes the work week difficult but being tired still better than being hungover. Tonight I can't sleep because I have court in the morning for my DUI. I look forward to the day I can rest my head with only trivial worries. Hang in there..the longer we are sober the easier it should get
hey Quit, you'll get through the dwi, I had three of them, life sucks in the meantime, but you will get through it. if i could just say that any worry you have about it all just makes it worse, because there's not one thing you can do to change the outcome besides not F-up.. i've been there my friend..
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LDT

......lying down and just resting is also beneficial. I was surprised at how well I could function on a small amount of sleep and/or rest. It's a fair trade for just passing out from drinking.....which we all know is not real sleep anyway.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

everyone knows the drill, back when drinking, get hammered, wake up around two or three in the am, and not sleep until just before the alarm clock goes off..
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dan, not sleeping is an issue I have. I know if I get into a manic stage that this is not good. Sometimes sleep is just difficult...routine routine, etc. I heard that forever and it didn't matter..no caffeine, don't eat late, turn off computer, etc. and I even take trazodone to help me sleep. I do know that when we don't sleep we tend to keep the tV on or the computer on. This keeps me up..I am sure if I started to read a book or listen to music, I would probably fall asleep. I fight it as if I am missing out on something.

You have the right thinking...better than being hungover...

gigi
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Gigi, and somehow we get over it, even how they say sleep is so important, we just keep on putting up with not sleeping, even taking a pill doesn't work, i still wake up, actually afraid to take something too strong so i just sits and thinks, my Dad had a placque that said, "Sometimes i sit and think, and sometimes I just sits"
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Im not sleeping much either. Just a reality I have to face. Sucks I have done this to myself but now its time to pay up.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

like i said, i do remember times of sleeping well, just can't wait, sleep is better than just about anything..
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've been having issues sleeping recently too. Of course the fact that I washed down my Melatonin with a cup of coffee an hour or so ago probably didn't help matters any. At least I have a few more days of vacations to sleep in before I have to go back to work.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sisterella View Post
I've been having issues sleeping recently too. Of course the fact that I washed down my Melatonin with a cup of coffee an hour or so ago probably didn't help matters any. At least I have a few more days of vacations to sleep in before I have to go back to work.
well, it's better than washing down valium with beer or whiskey.