Notices

Do you have to be an alcoholic to have a drink problem?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you have to be an alcoholic to have a drink problem?

Hi,

I've been thinking today about my past drinking habits, I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably not an alcoholic. I've never had any withdrawal symptoms, never drank in the morning etc.

What I have decided though is that I definitely had/have got a drink problem. I found myself in a position where I was drinking everyday after work to help with the stress that I was under, this lead to me not putting in 100% effort to my family, business etc and basically turned me into a person that I didn't want to be.

It all came to a head and I decided to stop drinking. It proved to be for the better as everything dramatically improved. I very rarely feel like drinking now, and when I do I think back to how I was.

So back to the question, can you have a drink problem without being an alcoholic? What are other peoples thoughts on this?

Keep sober,

Bruno.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my experience, people who don't have drinking problems, don't join a forum for drug addicts and ask if they have a drinking problem.

People without drinking problems generally spend zero minutes wondering if they have a drinking problem.

To the question...yes. There are problem drinkers and their are alcohol dependent drinkers.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Time will tell.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know...I'm an alcoholic with a drink problem...I think it's just a label...If it causes you problems and you're doing better without it...Stay away from it.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

'alcoholic' is just a word. It's kind of pointless to get hung up on terminology. If alcohol has caused or is causing problems for you, then that's all that matters. Focus on what part you want alcohol to play or not play in your life and choose a course of action that you feel is best for you.

Personally, I'd never call myself an 'alcoholic' and I've never felt any real withdrawal symptoms when I've not had a drink for a day or several days at a time, but I know that I get into various kinds of trouble when I drink, so now I've decided not to drink.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You might just be a problem drinker, sure. I always ask people this question when they ask me if they're an alcoholic: "Do you think you can go one full year without a drink of alcohol?"

If you can, you're not an alcoholic. For someone with a drinking problem, this will be next to impossible. If you're not an alcoholic, or a problem drinker, this shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Non-alcoholics, and people without a drinking problem can take it or leave it. And most of the time, they leave it.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I consider myself an alcoholic and I pretty much drank like you describe. It's just a word. But I didn't get better till I accepted that word as a label of mine and embraced sobriety. I tried to moderate when I thought I was a 'problem drinker' and that took me 18 months to accept the A word, based on my failure at moderation.

Good link on your journey

S x
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the word alcoholic can be really unhelpful but really useful too...

For me I fought that word for so long, cos if I was one then that meant I had to stop drinking, forever, and I didn't want to, (because I was an alcoholic...) But I don't go in for all that problem drinker, heavy drinker, alcoholic stuff. They're all stages of the same thing. And everyone is different. I know people who describe themselves as alcoholics who say that their drinking was normal social drinking at one point. Personally mine never was, but I never got to the point of drinking in the morning. Everyone is different. Where the word alcoholic is useful though is it identifies you as a type to remind yourself not to drink. I think if I was still fighting that one word it would be because a little part of me still thought I could drink one day.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Squizz View Post
You might just be a problem drinker, sure. I always ask people this question when they ask me if they're an alcoholic: "Do you think you can go one full year without a drink of alcohol?"

If you can, you're not an alcoholic. For someone with a drinking problem, this will be next to impossible. If you're not an alcoholic, or a problem drinker, this shouldn't pose much of a problem.
The problem with things like this is that you get stubborn feckers like me (or me mum) who would not drink for that year and forever use it as proof that they weren't alcoholics. But once that year was over the party'd be on! I even held up two weeks sobriety when I was 17 as evidence that I didn't have to drink! Crazy lady
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you can Bruno.

I think if you only ever drink on a saturday, but always end up drinking too much then having a fight and then getting hurt or arrested then that is problem drinking.

I don't think that it is as clear cut as drinking all day and night classifies you as an alcoholic and there is nothing in between that.

I also think is it about consequences?
What happens after a big drink?
Even if there are no legal consequences, what about going to work still over the limit for example?

I am a big believer that if drinking causes unhappiness to yourself and/or others that is reason enough to stop.

I wish you well xx
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

People place a hard arbitrary meaning on 'alcoholic' in many instances.
In my view anyone who has a drink, other than for the quenching of thirst ( in other words to receive a lift of some sort) despite any ability to control the total amount consumed, is at risk, irrespective of past performances, of entering a dangerously drugged up area.

It would be interesting to know the number of so called social drinkers who have passed the safety barrier, crashed their car, abused a spouse, committed a crime, etc.

The notion of safe and moderate drinking IMO is a dangerous fallacy; rather like saying a little bit of arsenic is better than a lot and probably wont do too much harm.
People who drink,even small amounts, for a buzz and claim moderation are kidding themselves.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For myself...I look at it like this....I couldn't control when I drank...And once I started...I couldn't control when I stopped. That's enough for me to call myself an alcoholic. I have no problem with the word.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a great one for labels

A lot of the time I think a reluctance or fear of accepting the label 'alcoholic' can stop us getting the help we need.

I think a far better question is 'is my drinking causing me problems'.

If you read this list and even just some of the things jump out at you, you might want to reconsider your position Bruno.

What is the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse?
Alcohol abuse4 is a pattern of drinking that results in harm to one’s health, interpersonal relationships, or ability to work.

Manifestations of alcohol abuse include the following:
  • Failure to fulfill major responsibilities at work, school, or home.
  • Drinking in dangerous situations, such as drinking while driving or operating machinery.
  • Legal problems related to alcohol, such as being arrested for drinking while driving or for physically hurting someone while drunk.
  • Continued drinking despite ongoing relationship problems that are caused or worsened by drinking.
  • Long-term alcohol abuse can turn into alcohol dependence.

Dependency on alcohol, also known as alcohol addiction and alcoholism4, is a chronic disease.

The signs and symptoms of alcohol dependence include—
  • A strong craving for alcohol.
  • Continued use despite repeated physical, psychological, or interpersonal problems.
  • The inability to limit drinking.
CDC - Frequently Asked Questions - Alcohol
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a reason to stop that made sense to you and you handled it. Problem drinkers come to a point where they identify excess drinking as something that needs to stop when it causes difficulties in their lives, and their lives are better for it. They leave drinking in the dust and then direct their attention to the things in their lives that are more important.

A more familiar alcoholic pattern would be to decide to stop, and last a couple of days before having to drink and then feeling lousy. Deciding to stop again soon for sure this time but lasting about 3 weeks before having to drink again. Doing the same thing for another 2 weeks and right after going another 2 weeks. Then, going about a month before getting drunk and then going some months before thinking the cure is in and the problem wasn't really a problem after all.

Something like that would be classic alcoholism and not the least unusual among us at all.

The trouble with that is there's no convincing someone with that kind of pattern, and the best course is to just wish them well. Maybe later on the blinders will slip and they'll get a glimpse of what their experience actually indicates, but that's rare.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

there are no rules to this game, my friend.

chances are you have answered your own question by being here.

be honest with yourself...
Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
The problem with things like this is that you get stubborn feckers like me (or me mum) who would not drink for that year and forever use it as proof that they weren't alcoholics. But once that year was over the party'd be on! I even held up two weeks sobriety when I was 17 as evidence that I didn't have to drink! Crazy lady
LOL.

I honestly doubt that without any help anyone with a drinking problem could go one year without drinking.

Again, if you don't have a drinking problem, it would easy as pie.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Squizz View Post
I honestly doubt that without any help anyone with a drinking problem could go one year without drinking.
I dunno, I reckon they could white knuckle their way through it. I know an alcoholic who goes months poss years without drinking before going on a binge again, he's never sought proper help because he doesn't think it's a problem but he's probably the worst alcoholic I've ever met.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL.

Again, if you don't have a drinking problem, it would easy as pie.
I used to work with a guy who would drink once a year - 24/7 for anything up to 4 weeks. He'd often end up in hospital.

He's dead now.

what do you reckon his problem was Squizz?

D
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I also think it needs to be said that being a problem drinker is no easy ride. Non-alcoholics can get into serious life problems directly because of their drinking.

Drunk driving comes to mind. Not every drunk driver on the road is an alcoholic...

Spousal and domestic abuse as well can happen all simply from problem drinking.

And the list dosen't stop there...

Problem drinker or alcoholic, it dosen't matter, does it?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)