Notices

Day 7 First Run

Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 First Run

Just been for a Run anybody know anything about running I need a target I aim for but not sure where to start
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think we have quite a few runners around.....You might want to check out the threads here:
Fitness, Health, and Nutrition - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I run most days. I just finished a ten miler this morning. I usually run a couple marathons a year and a few shorter races as well. What are your questions?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are lots of great free training programs online to help you build your time and mileage. As a former runner, and current walker/runner, your best bet is to start with a combination of walking and running and then continually increase the running and decrease the walking time.

Good for you for taking those first steps, I am about to head out now before the Redskins game!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I jogged/walked 3km in 22 minutes, but just not sure where I should start? What I should be aiming for?

I'm novice! Just want to get fit and into something to take my mind off drinking
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I absolutely HATE running, but several years back I decided to set a goal for myself to run a half marathon and after a year of training I accomplished my goal - and this was even while I was drinking somewhat regularly. I ran it in a little over 2 hours. I'd personally suggest this as a good goal to strive for, and there are many half marathons all over so it wouldn't be hard for you to find one nearby to have as your goal.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I go running occasionally and I've run over a mile or a bit more. I have a friend who runs marathons, but I CANNOT compare my success to hers, we are different.

Just do a little bit at a time. See about getting some protein drinks that can help you sustain a bit more and improve your muscle mass, go check out GNC, or VitaminShoppe, they can help you and give you suggestions.

Just do the best you can do, because that is all you can do. Just going out there and doing it is awesome!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

A good target is to put one foot in front of the other and repeat until tired! I am trying to start running again, after about ten years of alcoholic paralysis.

The fastest runners do a mile in four minutes (or less). Eight minute miles is a pretty good clip. When you start getting up around 15 minute miles, you might as well walk.

One tip: don't wear earphones when running--it's really dangerous. Also, try to get into the zen meditation silence thing (trail or fells running is good).

I made a commitment here a few days ago to run a marathon this year. Well, I'm going to amend that, and aim for a 25 k run in January 2014. This particular race is nearby, so it won't interfere with whatever I am doing a year from now.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There's lots of free information all over the net.

What you want to do, all depends on your goals.

I keep it light, run at 6 miles an hour for 40 minutes, four to five times a week. Music is a must for me, or I just can't do it and oddly enough, I've preferred the tread mill for many years.

You get a better work out running outside though, you use different stabilizer muscles dealing with the changing terrain and you have to battle the wind, grade changes etc....

I like the treadmill because I can put on my ear phones, put on some hardcore fast paced music and disappear into my mind. Running outside, you have to be more aware of your surroundings, so I can't delve as deep into my own thoughts, as I can on a treadmill.

I've gone through all sorts of stages throughout my running life and have never even been remotely interested in racing or running a marathon.

The reason why I pick 40 minutes, is that is the time the body starts using fat as it's energy source and if I keep a reasonable number of minutes and at a moderate pace, history says I am less likely to stop my fitness goals.

I've gone hardcore on the weekly mileage and speed...but guess what, I end up mentally burning out and stop. I suppose if I was training for a marathon, I wouldn't burn out...but I don't want to run a marathon. See, I've made it overly complicated! Hahaha

Good luck and enjoy! For me, the best part about a run...is finishing!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe look for a couch to 5k program...good for beginning running
Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beherenow View Post
Maybe look for a couch to 5k program...good for beginning running
I also recommend the C25K programme. There is a free app as well or an mp3 you can download to prompt you when to start and stop running/walking. It's excellent.

S x