Notices

AA meetings?

Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meetings?

Are all area meetings posted on the AA website? It looks like the closest one to me is over 30 minutes away from me and I just can't swing going to them that far away.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would look in your yellow pages for an AA hotline. They should have a list of all the meetings in your area.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

not necessarily. you may want to call yer local district office or one of the numbers listed with the meetings. theres usually someone in AA willing to give a ride to someone wanting to get to a meeting.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

LorriK, thank you. I am scared as hell to call but I know at this point I need to.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sent ya a PM citrus.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

tomsteve, its not about the ride its about me being a SAHM to four kids and need to be here for them.... I know its not much me being here drunk...... I'm a Shi**y parent. But I really can't leave for two hours...one I might be able to swing.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Many AA meetings offer a child setting service during the meeting just to make the meeting child/mom friendly. One of the long term sober moms will watch the kids, as a service position. Explain your position to the person you talk to and this may help.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The only person ever in my family I've actually told that I had a problem with drinking was my Dad, who doesn't drink but my grandpa was an alcoholic and a smoker most of his life... but he quit both and died of lung and stomach cancer when I was 14... the grandpa stuff doesn't really matter in the big picture. But, I thought my dad might understand... he's very religious.... I'm not so much... but I asked if he thought that aa might be good for me and he said no... he told me to exercise! So much for parental help.

Soooo.... there is a bit of a back story. I am just so done with alcohol and have been feeling this way for a while, but I don't know how to stop.

(sorry to all for the drunk post... but surely its better to talk to all of you than to drunk call someone (which I should be famous for).
Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yer not a ****** parent. yer a sick one. theres many meetings that make accomodations for children. when someone brings their children to a meeting, it is a sign to me that they are willing to go to any lengths for victory over alcohol.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Taking5, I clicked those services on the website to see if they were available but they weren't anywhere near me. And I hate to say it... but I don't leave my kids with anyone but family.... Gosh I'm such a hypocrite.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Citrus View Post
Taking5, I clicked those services on the website to see if they were available but they weren't anywhere near me. And I hate to say it... but I don't leave my kids with anyone but family.... Gosh I'm such a hypocrite.
no, yer not a hypocrite. yer a protective mother.
do you want to stop drinking?
are you willing to go to any lengths to stop drinking?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was going to say I am willing to go to any lengths, but I just realized I won't talk to my family right now about it. Besides that yes.... I will go to any length. I really will. And I know I feel so much better when I do. I just need help. I'm scared help won't even work. But I know I need big HELP! Before I can quit. But goodness I want to.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Citrus.

Research places that have an IOP at local hospitals, etc. Some of the meetings are free. I attend AA, Women for Sobriety meetings, family meetings, etc.

It's worth a look.

Welcome.
gigi