Notices

Totally new to even trying.....

Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Totally new to even trying.....

Hi, my name is Darren. I'm a father of 4 and grandfather of 2 (and one on the way). I have a great job working as a GPS Surveyor for our local Gov'ts Flood Control Dept. 29 years on the best job in the world.
That's where the flowers and rainbows end. I drink 12-15 Canadian Beer per night for the last 22 years. I function quite well during the day but once 6pm hits, I'm useless. I haven't remembered anything past 6pm for years.
My face is constantly glowing redder and my doctor says my liver is fatty and destined for the same fate as my father.....dead at 53.
I was ready to just quit cold turkey when my wife suggested I research what I was about to get into.
Thanks for being here SR.
This needs to happen, this needs to happen soon. I'm ready. Just don't want to screw it up.
......my first post....
Old 01-05-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome ratherbealive!

Glad you're here! I was a nightly drinker for a while, too, and it will definitely catch up with you. You might want to consider some medical help for detoxing, as alcohol withdrawal can be really dangerous.

The hope and support here helped me turn my life around and it can be that way for you, too!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Darren

You're definitely not alone - you'll find a ton of support here

I think it's a good idea to see your Dr, if you can manage it - not everyone has hassles, but detox can be a problem for some of us - it's best to be safe

D
Old 01-05-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome alive to our family!

It is nice to have you here.
You sound like there is a lot that is precious in your life, your job, your family.
Drinking can destroy that.

The liver is an awesome organ that can regenerate, so give it all you have got and be around for your kids and grandkids.

I hope you continue to post here. x
Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks artsoul,
I'll flounder around the yellow pages for a bit. Let ya know how things go.
I know it can be dangerous,,,I've figured out what everyone "wasn't" saying last year when a co-worker died from a stroke caused by de-toxing on his own.
Why was it such a horrible secret at the time? I was about to unknowingly do the same damn thing.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can do this for sure! As others talk to your doctor. My last detox was scary as hell, don't do like I did please.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Darren

Glad you found us. It's amazing how we can heal physically once we've quit. The transition can be a bit rough though so it's good to get some support (here, AA, counselling) and medical advice x
Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Darren! I was older when it all caught up with me, too. It's so good you're making this life changing decision.

Is you doctor aware of the amounts you've been drinking? He may have some advice about going cold turkey. As Dee said, just to be safe. It may not be a big deal physically - but I think you'll be glad you joined here to help with any anxiety you may feel. I was quite jittery the first few days & needed something to focus on.

Let us know how it's going.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tough guy all my life.......haven't openly cried since I was a small boy. till now.
I really am not alone. Thank you..
This is a lot to take in.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I felt the same way when I found SR I wouldn't have been able to quit without this place x
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Look around for a detox or rehab program. If you start out with a commitment like that, you're off and running .

You're lucky your wife supports you. Me and mine are sober 66 days, and I couldn't do it without her.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello My Friend and Welcome to SR,

I was in a similar situation. Great Job and Family - Just way too much drinking for many years. I quit on Sept 17 and have been sober ever since.

I have no desire to drink and have not been tempted. Im trying to work putting the past behind me as I cannot change it (lots of guilt - watch out for this wreckage).

I wish not drinking was my only problem. I created my mess but I must work to change the things I can. Being a loving Husband and Father and making good family and financiial decisions and working hard at my job. I think I can control these as long as I stay away from the Miller Light and Jim Beam.

Going to AA Meeting tonight during Packer Game. Thats a first!

Good Luck
Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Darren,glad you are here and that you want sobriety.

As has already been said,detox can be dangerous,so medical advice is a good idea.

I wish you well.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

ratherbealive, I'm so glad you're here and relieved your wife told you to go looking for information before you take the leap. She must like you ok, eh.

I haven't stopped to contemplate how long I've REALLY been a heavy drinker, but I would venture to say that it's been more than the last five years or so I've been thinking it was. I'm fifty and remember giving it up because it was out of control when I was in college, and I've been cycling in and out ever since. Difference is this last time I was truly in the vortex.

I stopped drinking January 1. Five days in, I'm content with where I am today. It's only just around the corner from you are! For some, this is a place of rainbows and sunshine and I hope it will be for you too. For me, it's a bit overcast but I don't mind a bit. Beats the stinky cave I was inhabiting by a mile.

Something about sobriety is making me wax metaphorical.

Welcome! I look forward to sharing this journey with you.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to our recovery community. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Big welcome Darren!

As you can see, great support here. We're all behind you
Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Darren, how are you doing today?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Today has been very good. I went Ice fishing with the regular friends and ended up comfortably being the DD. What a feeling driving home with all the power of NO-ANXIETY. lol. My plan is to cut everything in half until I can arrange for an evaluation meeting tomorrow or Tuesday with our local AFM (Addiction's Foundation).
I've been in dependance for an excuse for as long as I can remember. Never thought I'd ever be able to change.
But I was also a heavy smoker for 26 years and I finally quit Jan 22, 2010
Never thought in a million years I could have done that....so maybe I have a chance at this.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Darren!! You will find lots of support on here, but seeing a doctor is probably a good idea. Sounds like you have a supportive wife that helps!!!