Notices

Driving at 6:00 pm

Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Driving at 6:00 pm

I am going out to shop. It is so cool to be sober. It is 6:00 pm and it is pitch dark outside, freezing snow. I am not drunk. Freedom to drive without fear. I can be pulled over with nothing to worry about. I don't expect to but I can blow in a breathalyzer if I am. Driving sober is one of things I must add to the gratitude list. Awesome.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had the same freedom feeling a few times. Sober life rocks!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had that feeling when I was at the local shop on Friday evening, I could have stayed there for an hour just watching the world go by after dark.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've actually even
been the designated driver once or twice...WHAT?
Good job!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

One of my favorite things about sobriety. I'm a night owl, so being able to get in the car late night and drive to the beach is awesome! I love knowing if I get stopped I have nothing to worry about. Love it that I don't have to worry about hurting someone due to stupid choices I made while drinking.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I got sober my kids were in high school. It was nice knowing that when they called because they needed a ride home at midnight or that their battery was dead because they left their lights on, that I was available to help.

I can't imagine my daughter calling me at midnight because she needed help, and me answering "sorry honey, I can't help you, I'm too drunk to drive." "Why don't you walk home from downtown or find someone to spend the night with?" The guilt and shame would have been terrible.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes the freedom to drive after dark and to do it sober . . . wonderful!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I"m back. I am in a good mood. Went crazy at the store. New rugs , towells, bakeware . pans and I can't remember waht else. Spent over an hour. Did'nt go to the bathroom and hit my secret bottle midway through shopping. Yea, shopping was such a huge deal I had to stay drunk through it. Drove home, no accidents, no arrests, just a trunk packed with new stuff.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember during my three weeks of sobriety in the summer how wonderful it was to know that I could just get in the car, go down to the marina and watch the sun set. Funny how my internal clock always makes sure I'm in by dark, as that was when my demons came out. Finishing day one and happy today.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love when I notice the day to day changes that come with sobriety

Keep up the good work, it's nice to not be a prisonor to our addictions anymore
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
What a great post. I can so relate. When I first quit, I can remember taking my kids for ice cream and I was like "OMG look at all the people out and about in the dark!!!"

Zebra, I know what you mean. My kids weren't old enough to be out and driving, but I had the same feelings. I would not let my kids have or go to sleepovers because I was afraid that if someone needed to go home in the middle of the night, or I needed to go get one of my kids I wouldn't be able to because I'd be drunk. The thought of maybe not drinking just for a night wouldn't have occured to me. So sad
Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I ran out to pick up dinner the other night and was thinking the same thing! The days are so much longer now. I'd be pretty useless by 4 or 5pm back in the day.