Notices

Question to those who quit drinking and then smoking

Old 01-05-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question to those who quit drinking and then smoking

Hi

It's day 341 since my last drink. Great achievement. I know .

But now I've decided to quit smoking. I don't want to join "quit smoking forums" just want to ask the question.

Was it easy for you or was it as hard as quitting drinking?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I posted this yesterday:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ry-moment.html
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I gave up smoking 2 weeks ago after being sober for 7 months.

The truth.... Yes it is as hard.

I'm having to change all my routines like I did when I quit the drink. I did a fair amount of pacing, and being snappy and irritable for about 3-5 days.
I'm still getting cravings.
Yep, it's tough.

But...it'll most probably save my life, just as quitting drinking has. So, it's worth it!x
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

6 months sober gave up smoking 6 weeks ago. It is difficult but not as difficult as you think. I did it with patches and gum. The gum is rubbish but it helps from a psychological standpoint when the cravings really hit.

I do miss it in some ways and that's the truth. But when I gave up i also realised how's utterly pointless and crazy it was. Utterly pointless. The interesting thing was that my blood pressure has dropped waaaay down. It dropped to really normal when I gave up the booze but dropped down to the loooow side of normal when the cigs went. At this rate my doctor says ill live forever!

I suggest just doing it. Just start and get a few days under the belt. Smoking really is one of those things that require just stopping. Huge amounts of planning are pointless. It's like jumping into a really cold swimming pool. No amount of preparation is going to make it warmer....you just have to grit your teeth and jump.

I felt like having one many times in the first 2 weeks but I just thought why throw away the effort and have gone through all that discomfort in the first 7 days for nothing at all only to be back to where I started?

Go for it...it really is worth it.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After reading your comments seems like its not going to be very easy. But Im ready to do this.
Not sure how am I going to relax without smokes?

Lego games perhaps...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I gave up smoking two and half years ago (one of many attempts, but first time cold turkey) and I can say the experience of quitting smoking has helped with quitting drinking. Therefore I would say that it should work in reverse. Same rules apply really, take it easy for a few weeks, change what routines you can, drink plenty of water, post ALL THE TIME on here and do crosswords....okay don't worry about the crosswords, I got pretty addicted to them when quitting smoking! Also sweets! They help. The fact that you are not drinking will help enormously! Expect the headaches so stock up on ibruprophen and box sets!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, go for it!!
I'm relaxing by reading at the moment. Always said I didn't have time to do that, but without smoking I'm finding the time.

I'm pleased I didn't put you off. Reckon it's totally worth it. Xx
Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Healthyfood
Not sure how am I going to relax without smokes?
How are you going to relax without repeatedly sucking toxic poisons into your lungs? Trillions of non-smokers relax every day. Find out how they relax.

I quit 5 months ago, much the same way I quit drinking years ago (ok, minus the baker act/nutward debacle). It was like a switch flipped and I was done. Cravings came...sure. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie it was effin' hard for a minute, but I knew they were coming and I was like "bring it". I knew I could get through it, and be stronger for it. Just like with booze, I look at cigarettes and smoking in a whole different way now...because *I'm* looking at it, not my addiction. My addiction thinks it's relaxing, feels good, and not that bad compared to drinking...blah, blah, blah. The reality is, what *I* know is the truth is...it stinks, it's expensive, it looks stupid, and it can kill me.

Suit up and jump off...it's only hard for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've quit smoking many times and the nicotine patch is what works best for me. Instead of trying to tackle habit and craving all at the same time you lose the habit first and wean off the craving over two months.

It is totally highway robbery what they charge for those things, though
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did it five years ago, but I was still drinking at the time.
I used nicotine microtabs.

I got to the point where there was nothing I liked about smoking anymore.
I really wanted it.
I did it a strange way and cut down and used the microtabs when I could not smoke.
One morning I was smoking in the cold in November.
I thought to myself, this is horrid.
That was it.
I even had half a packet in my drawer for a few months that I never touched.

I love being a non smoker.
I work in different hospitals and the stench from cigarettes smoke from all those who congregate outside is horrific to me now.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
Hi

It's day 341 since my last drink. Great achievement. I know .

But now I've decided to quit smoking. I don't want to join "quit smoking forums" just want to ask the question.

Was it easy for you or was it as hard as quitting drinking?
Hi Healthy food,

I waited a year too before I gave up my 3 pack a day cig habit. Ya know what made it a little easier for me was being on an anti-depressant by that time. Talk to your Doctor--Maybe that will help make it a little easier.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
How are you going to relax without repeatedly sucking toxic poisons into your lungs? Trillions of non-smokers relax every day. Find out how they relax.

I quit 5 months ago, much the same way I quit drinking years ago (ok, minus the baker act/nutward debacle). It was like a switch flipped and I was done. Cravings came...sure. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie it was effin' hard for a minute, but I knew they were coming and I was like "bring it". I knew I could get through it, and be stronger for it. Just like with booze, I look at cigarettes and smoking in a whole different way now...because *I'm* looking at it, not my addiction. My addiction thinks it's relaxing, feels good, and not that bad compared to drinking...blah, blah, blah. The reality is, what *I* know is the truth is...it stinks, it's expensive, it looks stupid, and it can kill me.

Suit up and jump off...it's only hard for a couple of weeks.
Agree with everything in this post.

Cravings from cigarette smoking are nothing, just grind through them they soon pass . Stopped smoking 8 years ago , 30 a day thanks to Alan Carr.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Swedish Snus helped me quit...but then you have to quit the snus.

Which i did!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

What is a Swedish snu? lol

Thinking about quitting smoking as well. This is an encouraging thread, you all make it seem possible.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Sasha4
I even had half a packet in my drawer for a few months that I never touched.
Me too. They were on the nightstand. I was like "yeah, whatever, I see you." LOL
Originally Posted by Freefall
This is an encouraging thread, you all make it seem possible.
Oh it's absolutely possible. You won't regret it. I can promise you that.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

OMG!
I thought I was the only one up to three packs a day or more. I am so glad I quit when I quit drinking. I chickened out of both. I am a guy but it is like childbirth. My wife and I did the Lamaze stuff for a natural birth until she went into labor and then it was "get me that saddle block now or die!"

I wanted no part of detox or quitting it was just too hard. Then once I realized it was killing me, I found the equivalent to being numb for childbirth. I did my detox for both in the local VA regional medical center for 7 days. They gave me stuff and then weaned me off the stuff and I don't remember most of it except the last couple of days and nights. They also gave me patches because I told my doc I didn't want to waste a perfectly good detox on only one of my three addictions. (I still drink . . .coffee!) I stayed on the patches for a year! But it worked.

Also my wife still smokes, even in the house, but under the kitchen vent hood, and she still drinks. So she keeps her half gallon of Scotch, and carton of cigarettes in the same places they were when I did both.

I cannot believe how much money I burned up like the movies showing the caricature of wealth lighting a cigarette with a 50 dollar bill.

BTW I really was never a smoker. The cigarette did all the smoking. I was just the sucker.

Just be aware that you can gain weight just from metabolic slow downs from quitting. I did and now wish I had stayed on my workout regimen. That is the biggest tip I can give you. Just do it. Don't do the quit and relapse revolving door. Trust me, you can do it if you quit drinking. I managed to quit smoking for 18 months 20 years ago. I could not quit drinking even in the morning, when I finally went into detox. So I would rank them about even for us chain smokers and ex alcoholics.

Good luck Healthy Food!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I quit smoking about 3 years ago and feeling great about it. And it is nice to have a good sense of smell again, and don't wake up in the morning because of the cough...

I started with limiting the amount I smoke for about a month first, to ease the physical dependency (or it was just an excuse to keep going for a bit longer). I decided that I will smoke only when I am ABSOLUTELY dying without a smoke, and I will not smoke when I just feel like doing something with my hands, or just finished my dinner, or for whatever other reason. I also stopped buying cigarettes, so when the craving was getting so bad I was letting myself to smoke, I had to go ask someone for a cigarette...which is often kinda awkward. I was surprised how I quickly moved from smoking 2 packs to smoking 3-5 cigarettes a day. And then I felt I'm ready to quit and I did.=)
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I recently quit smoking cigs about 2 months ago. I switched from normal cigs to an electronic cig and then about 2 weeks ago stopped that as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gave up smoking 35 years ago and found it quite easy.
Benzos and alcohol have been a different story.

Alc free 46 no benzos 47
Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for support.

Its 342 days since my last drink and today is also my 1 st smoke free day. Amazing.