Notices

Sick and Tired of Drinking

Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redviper View Post
I was a die hard wine guy. I still have some very nice high end zins from the last wine tasting weekend in Sonoma. I realized my life revolved around drinking. My hobbies had to include alcohol. Early on sobriety is difficult. But I'm 3 months sober now and it's better than any wine night ever was. My Riedels just sit on the shelf now and the wines in the rack are collecting dust. Best thing I have ever done for myself. It will be for you too. Just stick to it.
I still have several bottles collecting dust too.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I have been buying a juice that Chef V in San Diego makes, and I am doing a cleanse next week. Can you send me your juice recipe, it would probably be cheaper to make my own.
Delilah- I am not a chef and would not want to be responsible for making you gag in the kitchen from my recipe! But I have some experience with juicing probably at a beginner/intermediate level although it's been awhile. I basically went and got what was in season. I find carrots to be an excellent base from a taste/health benefit standpoint with a moderate amount of sugar. So I used

about 10 medium carrots,
1 bunch of kale,
1 beetroot (including the leaves!),
2 fuji apples (makes it a little more palatable and sweet, but not too much),
5 quite large pieces of celery (juicy and mild),
3 small cucumbers
ginger (about 3 1/2 inches of it) for spice and a tonic effect

^the recipe above produced about 2 quarts which is a pretty hefty amount for one person as they suggest you consume within 24 hours. So the recipe could probably be cut in half. I highly encourage you to adjust to your preferences!

The resulting juice was brownish purple in color (I expected green but I think the beetroot shifted the hue). So it looks like a bloody mess but tastes great!

As you know there are tons of recipes out there on google from the real experts!

Originally Posted by Eliz181144 View Post
Funny, I was a wino and also immed started juicing once I quit. Great, isn't it? I am amazed how much more energy I have at the gym. I am only 6 days in.
Eliz181144 That sounds great! I need to go back to the gym, although I do run. I've just been fallen really behind on the exercise and that will be my next effort.

Originally Posted by Redviper View Post
But I'm 3 months sober now and it's better than any wine night ever was. My Riedels just sit on the shelf now and the wines in the rack are collecting dust. Best thing I have ever done for myself. It will be for you too. Just stick to it.
Congrats on the 3 mos Redviper! I can't wait to get there! I just washed and put my Riedels away in storage today while in the kitchen! haha.

-Unhappy Hour
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just wonder how much money I drank trying to look like the sophisticated drinker. Let alone the wasted time.