Notices

Anyone else

Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Huh?

Anyone else

One of those people who needs CONSTANT mental stimulation? Sober or not? I think a trigger for me is sitting idle.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

Used to be. Now I have a peaceful, quiet mind. Definitely had to get used to it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, HereIAm.

I think most of us need.

"People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well,
neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it
daily."

Keep the faith)
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Definitely. But so many weekends/week nights I would drink so every mundane thing would be stimulating enough for me. Now I am trying sober living and I am so BORED. Things I did while drinking or drunk aren't actually all that interesting. I think I am going to use this as an opportunity to explore more options....find new hobbies, etc. otherwise, I know I will pick up again eventually.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes! I need constant stimulation or I get bored and easily very depressed. Maybe we can encourage each other in new hobbies. I am going to give sobriety a try and am very concerned about boredom!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agree to all the above. I literally can't stand how mind numbing some of my "hobbies" while drunk were and am struggling to find new ones. Last night I picked up some math games to keep my mind busy. you guys found anything worthwhile?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Huh?

I think I meant more in general. Like, before I started becoming a heavy drinker, and was sober most of the time, I still needed SOMETHING to do or read or learn, or I'd get very depressed. Doesn't help that I have endogenous depression and (obviously) ADD.

Some things I do:

*basketball (shoot hoops by myself)
*stretches & deep breaths
*try to meditate (too ADD)
*read
*crosswords
*hang out at bookstores
*study my Arabic
*ponder my thesis topic
*play my 3DS
*TV (though I'm not a huge TV person)
*clean

.....?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
There are a couple of earlier threads on the question. Maybe you could find something that will work for you as well.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ure-sober.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-weekends.html

Have fun)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

can't sit still.

i need to move, even if i walk around the apartment.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you tried volunteering in your free time? Something that is close to your heart perhaps...

There is always something new to do out there and helping others at least for me seems to work.

Val
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not Alone

When an addict/alcoholic is home alone and bored they are behind enemy lines.

Natom.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I second the volunteer idea. I'm a volunteer EMT which is not usually boring. Every call is unique.
I too have ADD. I come on here a lot, play with my dogs, read,cook; a lot of different things just not for long periods because I get restless doing something for too long. When I first got sober, I painted several rooms of my house because it kept me busy but was also sorta mindless at the same time. I do think part of the reason I drank is that it helped my mind be quieter if that makes any sense. Obviously I took that to an extreme and eventually went for full on quiet (passed out/blacked out).
Also I spend time every day working on recovery whether it's reading, going to a meeting, meeting with my sponsor, or going on SR. I find that helpful.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Huh?

Definitely can relate to drinking to quiet my mind.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HereIAm321 View Post
One of those people who needs CONSTANT mental stimulation? Sober or not? I think a trigger for me is sitting idle.
Hi HereIAm,

ADD is a very distracting condition, and you can't do anything for too long without getting bored or distracted.

When I went sober I too up Golf and Bridge---Believe me they take FOREVER to learn and your never done learning. You are as good as the time you put into them. Golf gets you outside and believe me there is a lot of practicing, and Bridge may be indoor and not sternuous on the body but the MIND--well it keeps the mind exercised and in condition.

You could also consider Photography or painting if you have any artistic ability....and many schools have courses you can sign up for that are not expensive, but will open up new worlds for you, and new people to meet.

Some Ideas!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

My mind used to run at a million miles an hour too - now it doesn't - I have to wonder how much of that was self conditioning so I could then medicate to quiet my mind.

I'm a big fan of volunteering too.

Nothing like doing things for other people to get you out of yourself and give you a sense of purpose

D
Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4Better View Post
I would drink so every mundane thing would be stimulating enough for me. Now I am trying sober living and I am so BORED. Things I did while drinking or drunk aren't actually all that interesting. I think I am going to use this as an opportunity to explore more options....find new hobbies, etc. otherwise, I know I will pick up again eventually.
Going to the laundromat after drinking seems OK. Otherwise it's really boring.

I heard of a t-shirt that said, "I drink to make other people more interesting."

There is a lot of mundane repetition in life, as well as annoying obstacles and hurdles and paperwork and every imaginable annoying thing.

My Afghani friend said, "whoever thinks life is fun, he is either high or stupid."

I don't mean that to be a downer statement. He said it with a smile of irony on his face.

As for new hobbies, have you considered macrame? Just kidding. I had a lag period when I had lost interest in something I had been very passionate about, but in time I found something else that I was equally passionate about, so it is possible. Don't give up and keep coming back.

Where have all the flowers gone? Long time passing.

Ya sonne, wicked old target. Your finger at the trigger and your body burning up.