Notices

alcohol withdrawal timeline

Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol withdrawal timeline

Hi

I am newbie on quitting alcohol. Until recently, I never had thoughts about being alcoholic. But last few months changed a lot. I started doubting myself on drinking habit. I had few incidents of anxiety and they were terrible enough to have all kind of worries. I did went thru ER as well physical and all came out normal, within range by grace of god.

And now after 2 weeks of complete alcohol free, I still feel traces of anxiety, strong enough to get me scared again. I am wondering is this alcohol related or what? Doesn't alcohol withdrawal symptoms get over in a week? Please advice.

I have quit smoking around 4 months back. And coincidentally or what, I had 1st anxiety experience after 3-4 weeks of smoke free(but on regular weekly alcohol dose, which I had for a decade as routine). Would that trigger, intensify alcohol effects/withdrawal experiences?? Any idea

Please advice, I am very confused at this point. And Not sure about my decision on quitting alcohol/smoke is helping me or what???

I am still very strong mentally on quit decisions, but want to know others experience ,advices, any timeline on easing these weird withdrawal etc.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome finalquit! We're happy to have you with us.

We can't give medical advice here, but I can tell you I definitely had anxiety for the first couple months after quitting. If you also quit smoking around the same time that would add to it. Can you discuss this with a doctor just to be safe? I think what you're feeling is quite normal, but that's just me.

Congratulations on your decision to stop both toxic habits. You'll have a whole new life.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello My Friend,

Welcome to SR!

Im going on 4 months sober and 2 months without chewing my Copenhagen. I have anziety and panic attacks almost on a daily basis. I believe its because of the past- all my wreckage from 25 years of drinking. Its hard to get it out of your mind. I am starting to accept the things I can not change and having the courage to change the things I can. I believe this is essential if we are to stay sober and move forward.

Take it 1 day at a time. Lots of great advice and support here at SR and AA meetings.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree. It's so hard when those thoughts of remorse and regret hit us out of nowhere. It definitely gets better, though. I knew I wasn't going to move forward if I let myself grieve about the past. We are different people now, and we need to let it go.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! :ghug3
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I agree. It's so hard when those thoughts of remorse and regret hit us out of nowhere. It definitely gets better, though. I knew I wasn't going to move forward if I let myself grieve about the past. We are different people now, and we need to let it go.
agree. I feel different as person, not sure if its for good or anxiety bombs causing them.(Though anxiety storms are weaker but still there after 2 weeks of sober).

My past alcohol consumption
750-1lit whiskey , 40% for a week, 3-4 times on eve.

This is avg, some weeks may more and some would be less. And this going for good last decade but now I am scared to have a single drink because of anxiety scare!! And most likely, I would not drink again for a while at least and if possible never again. Not sure at this point. I am too close to weird anxiety experience to decide anything!!

Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey final, great job on the 2 weeks, I know how big a deal that is. I am coming up on 2 weeks sober right now and I had a lot of anxiety but mostly depression, thankfully it was very cyclical and would alternate with periods of very positive happy moods (Like the male version of Kelly Rippa positive).

I had a professor once say that the brain is an instrument- its very finely tuned, very sensitive, extremely complex, but luckily very resilient as well. We have basically been bashing our sensitive instruments against the wall with booze for years so of course there will be all sorts of various effects as time goes by for awhile.

It helps for me to remember that no matter what booze isn't a long term solution to any of the feelings, and of course its exciting to see positive changes that will come eventually when we let this complex instrument repair itself.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Final. Congrats on your progress! When I quit after heavy daily use it took about 3 months for the severe panic to subside and a full year to start to feel normal. I know that doesn't sound very comforting, but everyone is different with the "how long". The only sentiment we all seem to share is that with abstinence it definately gets a lot better (with time). Best of luck to you!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WastedTimes View Post
Hi Final. Congrats on your progress! When I quit after heavy daily use it took about 3 months for the severe panic to subside and a full year to start to feel normal. I know that doesn't sound very comforting, but everyone is different with the "how long". The only sentiment we all seem to share is that with abstinence it definately gets a lot better (with time). Best of luck to you!
waho, that's very long road ahead. btw how you dealt panic attack? I went to ER once, and they found no issues physically, by grace of god. I am sure, they wont let me in next time unless my anxiety/panic symptoms would go really crazy, out of my hands(which of-course I don't wish/want, as lesser symptoms giving me enough grief already!!)

your experience on dealing with panic attack would help.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard you will find a lot of support here.

And 99% of all the things that you feel in the first months of sobriety are all totally normal. Just keep coming here and reading and posting about it..
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep your mind busy, create lists of things to do, try to avoid that vacant time where you can start to dwell on the past. Its hard to avoid. I agree, hopefully with time these will go away.

Good Luck
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Final,

Good going on two weeks!

I had a lot of help quitting. I spent a week in detox, then went to AA or NA meetings almost every day (now 66 days). Also, I had a med for anxiety (but I found I treated at as a "fun" drug).

Many alcoholics are "dual diagnosis," with other problems that may have been masked or exaggerated by alcohol. I strongly advise medical or psychiatric assistance, going to meetings, and finding a sponsor.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Final, I wish I had some magic formula, but it was pretty difficult for me. I kept telling myself every day that that day was one closer to feeling better. I ended up at the ER a few times myself, and finally went to my regular doctor. Had a bunch of tests and everything came back okay, thank God. Once I knew that it all really was just panic/anxiety I just had to let it run it's course... Sorry I can't be more helpful... Hopefully you will have a much easier/quicker time with it all.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome finalquit

Many of us do experience anxiety after quitting, and not always simply short term anxiety either, especially if we've had trouble with anxiety in the past.

If this is become a concern or a debilitating problem for you it's good to go see a Dr of your choice and discuss matters I think

Good to have you join us
D