Notices

Think I lost my girlfriend...

Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think I lost my girlfriend...

I relapsed on New Years. I can't believe I keep letting this happen. Right now I know I can't drink in moderation, but I ALWAYS find some way to convince myself to try! Even though I have proven over and over again that I CANNOT just have a few! Welp, I argued with the girl I love and said some hurtful things. She wants to be with me, but I know it's hard for her. If I have lost her it's going to be really hard on me, especially knowing we are totally happy when I don't drink.

I just have no clue what to do to keep from drinking. How can I forget how horrible this feels after only a few weeks of sobriety?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hang on, there is help to stop drinking. It can also save your relationship.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

The best thing you can do is to focus on stopping drinking and recovering. Whether or not things work out with your girlfriend, you will be sober and that will be great.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're right, I know being sober is more important. Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Spend some time browsing this forum--there is a lot of strength and experience here. Better yet, get to a meeting.

If your girlfriend loves you when you are sober, then she should love helping you get and stay sober. My relationship is incredible now that we are sober.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear ya. Maybe someone can identify with this: She drinks too, and that is how I slipped back in this time. I quit after I got crazy drunk and treated her very badly one night, totally unprovoked. I stayed clean about 2 weeks, but I started drinking with her now and then, then all the time, then got plastered on New Year (of course). She had been drinking too and was over reacting, but I blacked out and don't remember how bad I was, or if she was really that bad. Honestly, It would be easier if neither of us drank, but I don't think she wants to. We get along awesome when we are sober, I have never had more fun with a girl. But we always end up getting drunk. We drank 4 bottles of wine a few nights ago! I think maybe I want her to say "We can't be together unless you stop", but she never will because she wants to keep drinking. Does this indicate she has a problem?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My two cents- yes if she can handle two bottles of wine, she may very well have a problem. That's quite a high tolerance. Maybe quit together?? at least for a while?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Yeah, two bottles each is the amount that landed me in detox. I think the size of one bottle of wine is about what you need to get drunk. So any more is heading for rages and blackouts, and anyone who does that regularly is alcoholic.