Notices

aa

Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

aa

I was wondering if alot of you aa people tell folk yous R in aa? I like aa and I will attend for sure done want to get too deep and religious of it all though but wondered if you felt there's a stigma attached to it for some reason.
Peace
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Not as far as I have noticed. I tell certain people I am in recovery. Some I don't. Some people find it dark and mysterious which suits me just fine. Just tell whoever you are comfortable with telling.

Natom.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

One of the A's stands for "Anonymous." I will not tell anyone.

If I announce I am a member then go out and get drunk, it shames the fellowship.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
One of the A's stands for "Anonymous." I will not tell anyone.

If I announce I am a member then go out and get drunk, it shames the fellowship.
Never thought about it 'shaming' the fellowship. Interesting stand point though. Gives me something to think about. I probably need to have a read of the traditions if I am honest.

Natom.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't told anyone I know yet- not drinking hasn't really come up... yet. I am worried about reactions as well plus no one I know would think I have a drinking problem, I pounded red wine by myself and handled my hangovers too well.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Hi, Miko,

The AA program is wonderful; it is saving my life. There are a few folks outside the program who know I am in AA, but I don't broadcast it, generally. I, quite frankly, don't care who knows; I certainly wasn't anonymous when I was out there drinking like a fool.

If, however, I am ever in a situation where I think another might be helped by knowing I am in the fellowship, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to share that. I would consider that to be very important twelve step work, and by my carrying the message to other suffering alcoholics, I am ensuring my own sobriety...giving back what has so freely been given me.

By all means, try AA. You will find a bunch of warm, caring people who understand something very important about you before you ever open your mouth. Just go with an open mind and a little willingness.

All my best,

Kat
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA is not allied with any sect or denomination....Don't get to hung up on that...It's not a religious program period. Most of the people I care about...And that care about me know I'm in AA....It's not something I'm ashamed of...It keeps me alive. I lived my life as a drunk....Why would I be ashamed of being in a recovery program? I don't scream it from the rooftops...But I'm proud to be a member in good standing of AA....If anyone asked me how I got sober...I'd tell them.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If someone asks about the number of mtgs I attend, I tell them these are AA mtgs and that ends the subject. I never went out to bars. All of my drinking was at home as I refused to drive. So never met drinking 'buddies'.
I am a volunteer for several organizations and they are slowly learning my AA mtgs have, for now, priority in my life. No, I never drank during my volunteer times nor prior to them.
It was all on my free days and my evenings.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i dont run out and shout im in AA, and in the beginning, i had some fear of people knowing it. the fear of people knowing it has gone since i worked the steps. now i look at it this way: i didnt bother me when people saw me fall off a barstool so it doesnt bother me if people know im in AA.
there is a stigma attached to it by many people not in AA who are armed with misinformation of what the program really is.